Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Senior Citizen Entitlement of Employees
19 DEC 2018
Department of Social Justice & Empowerment has informed that there is at present no proposal in that Department for lowering the age of senior citizen. Government employees become entitle to pension on retirement. There is also no proposal to increase or decrease the age of retirement of Central Government Employees.
The salient features of the pension entitlements of employees retiring from the Central Government are as under:
- A Government servant retiring in accordance with the rules, after completing a qualifying service of not less than 10 years, is entitled to a pension @ 50% of his last pay or 50% of average emoluments for the last 10 months, whichever is more beneficial to him/her.
- After completion of 80 years of age or above, additional pension @ 20% to 100% is payable to the retired Government servant.
- A retired/retiring Government servant is entitled to, at his/her option, a lump sum payment, by commutation of a maximum of 40% of his/her pension.
- On retirement, a Government employee is entitled to a retirement gratuity based on his/her emoluments and length of qualifying service.
- On death of a Central Government pensioner, the family is entitled to a family pension the amount of which is 50% of the last pay for a period of seven years, or for a period up to the date on which the retired deceased Government servant would have attained the age of 67 years had he/she survived, whichever is earlier. Thereafter, the amount of family pension is 30% of his last pay. The amount of family pension is also increased by 20% to 100% after the family pensioner attains the age of 80 years and above.
- The family of a Government servant, who dies while in service after having rendered not less than seven years’ continuous service, is entitled to a family pension 50% of the last pay for a period of ten years. Thereafter, the amount of family pension is 30% of his/her last pay.
This was stated by the Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office, Dr. Jitendra Singh in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- Gratuity Pay under New Pension System
- Central Government Employees Pensionary Benefits – Retirement and Pension – Officers – NAVY
- Indian Navy Personnel Serving Retirement And Pension Officers
- Compulsory Retirement Pension
- A brief note of the Ministry of DOPT on New Pension Scheme – Retirement Benefits
- 7th CPC Defence Pension Calculation Method with Illustrations
- Clarification on date upto which enhanced family pension payable
- OROP Pension Calculation – Rounding of Qualifying Service
- Regulation of pension and other retirement benefits of Government servants who were on Extraordinary leave/ unauthorized absence/ suspension as on 1.1.2016 and retired/ died thereafter without joining duty