GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
STARRED QUESTION NO. 58
TO BE ANSWERED ON 20.07.2022
INCREASE IN MEAL PRICES IN TRAINS
*58. SHRI HAJI FAZLUR REHMAN:
Will the Minister of RAILWAYS be pleased to state:
(a) whether the Railway Board has increased the prices of tea and food items along with special meals served in trains;
(b) if so, the details thereof; and
(c) the details of rates increased in Shatabdi/ Rajdhani/Duronto and Express trains along with the profit likely to be earned by the Railways therefrom?
MINISTER OF RAILWAYS, COMMUNICATIONS AND ELECTRONICS & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (SHRI ASHWINI VAISHNAW)
(a) and (b): No, Sir. The menu and tariff of catering services comprising all meals including morning/ evening tea with snacks in Rajdhani/ Shatabdi/ Duronto trains and Standard Meals in other Mail/ Express trains are charged vide Commercial Circular No. 60 of 2019. The rates of tea and coffee in Mail/ Express trains are charged vide Ministry of Railways’ Commercial Circular No. 53 of 2018.
As per Railway Board’s instructions dated 13.03.2018, the passengers who opt out of prepaid catering (in Rajdhani/ Shatabdi/ Duronto/ Vande Bharat/ Gatiman/ Tejas), are required to pay an extra charge of Rs 50 per meal in addition to the notified catering tariff for that specific meal if demanded. To clarify the matter, vide Railway Board’s letter dated 15.07.2022 the applicable charge for each catering service has been specified for passengers who have opted for prepaid catering service and for those who have not. It has been specified that the extra charge of Rs 50 will not be applicable on morning tea/coffee. It will also not be applicable on Evening Tea with snacks in Sleeper Class of Duronto Trains and on extra meal in case of late running of trains.
(c): Does not arise.
Related to Your Search:
- Revision in Menu and Rates for Rajdhani/Shatabdi/Duronto Trains with Effect from 17th October 2013
- Validation of Duty/Privilege/Post Retirement Complimentary Passes (PRCP) in Hamsafar Express trains, Gatimaan Express trains and all other Special trains including Suvidha Express, Special Trains on special charges etc
- Applicability of Goods and Service Tax (GST) on Catering Services
- Flexi fare in Premium Trains
- Clarification regarding admissibility of flexi-fare in Shatabdi/Rajdhani/Duronto trains while availing LTC
- Validity of Duty/Privilege/Post Retirement Complimentary Passes (PRCP) in Duronto Express trains.
- Onboard charges for Railway Catering Services in Pre-paid trains
- Wi fi internet connectivity in superfast trains
- Display of TTE/Conductor name and mobile numbers in the Trains