Fraud in Granting Maternity Leave in ESIC, complaint has been registered with the CBI
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO: 246
ANSWERED ON: 24.06.2019
Fraud in Granting Maternity Leave
Will the Minister of LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT be pleased to state:-
(a) whether the cases of fraud in granting maternity leave with full salary in Employees’ State Insurance Corporation have come to the notice of the Government;
(b) if so, the details thereof; and
(c) whether the Government is likely to take any effective measure to check fraud in granting maternity leave with full salary?
MINISTER OF STATE (IC) FOR LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
(SHRI SANTOSH KUMAR GANGWAR)
(a): Yes, Sir. Suspected cases of fraud have been detected in granting Maternity benefit under Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) Act, 1948.
(b): The Internal audit while conducting the regular audit observed irregularities in maternity benefit payments in Sector 23 & 27 Branch offices of Faridabad in Haryana Region. Prima-facie, the fraud was detected to have been done in collusion with the ESIC staff and some Employers for availing maternity benefit under ESI Act. A complaint has been registered with the Central Bureau of Investigation, Chandigarh for further investigation. Thirteen officials including Managers of the Branch offices and other staff in question, have been placed under suspension so far.
c): The ESIC has already taken the following actions in the aftermath of detection of this suspected fraud: –
i) Special Audit of all the maternity benefit payments made in all Branch offices of ESIC during last three years has been ordered.
ii) Instructions have been issued to all Regional Directors and Sub-Regional office-in charges to ensure strict adherence with the established procedure/Rules/Regulations while making maternity benefit payment. They have also been directed to keep strict vigil on the payments being made through the Branch Offices under their jurisdiction.
Related to Your Search:
- Amendment in Maternity Benefit Act
- Enhancement of Maternity Leave – Lok Sabha Q&A
- Clarification on Recently Notified Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act,2017
- Scheme to partially reimburse employers for Maternity Benefits
- Maternity Benefits to the Women Employees – PIB
- National Minimum Guidelines for setting up and running creches under Maternity Benefit Act, 2017
- Maternity Benefit Act – Creche Facilities for Employees
- Maternity Leave in Private Sector
- Maharashtra government hikes coverage amount of group insurance for its employees