Clarification Issued in the Matter of Service Tax; Only Air-Conditioned or Air-Heated Restaurants to Pay Service Tax; Restaurants, Eating-Joints or Messes Which Do Not Have the Facility of Air-Conditioning Or Central Air-Heating in Any Part of the Establishment are Exempt from Service Tax.
At present, Service Tax is chargeable on services provided by restaurants, eating-joints or messes which have the facility of air-conditioning or central air-heating in any part of the establishment at any time during the year in relation to serving of food or beverages. Restaurants, eating-joints or messes which do not have the facility of air-conditioning or central air-heating in any part of the establishment are exempt from service tax. In other words, only air-conditioned or air-heated restaurants are required to pay Service Tax.
In respect of such air-conditioned or air-heated restaurants which are required to pay Service Tax, 60% of the value is to be deducted from the total amount charged while applying the rate of Service Tax and tax is to be calculated on the balance 40%. With the increase in the rate of Service Tax to 14% (subsuming the Education Cesses) with effect from 1.6.2015, the effective rate of tax will be 5.6% of the total amount charged. Prior to 1.6.2015, when the rate of Service Tax was 12.36% (including Education Cesses), the effective rate was 4.94%.
Related to Your Search:
- Service Charges Collected by Restaurants/Hotels/Eateries Retained by the Restaurants/Hotels/Eateries and are Not ‘Service Tax’ Imposed by the Government
- Applicability of Goods and Service Tax (GST) on Catering Services
- The Central Government abolished various Cesses in the last three years for smooth roll-out of GST
- Unique Facility for EPF members to Download their E-Pass Book
- GST: Finance Minister may hike service tax to 16-18% in Budget
- Reconsideration of extension of without voucher facility to Retired Employees
- Procedure Order for Implementing Service Tax Refunds on Passenger Fare Tickets Booked and Cancelled on or after 01.10.2012
- Air Conditioned Coach developed for DEMU Train
- Minimum Balance Requirements In India Post Accounts and Other Details