Cabinet approves revised pay scales of teachers and equivalent academic staff in Universities/Colleges & centrally funded technical institutions
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for revision of pay scales for about 8 lakh teachers and other equivalent academic staff in higher educational institutions under the purview of the University Grants Commission (UGC) and in Centrally Funded Technical Institutions, following implementation of the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission for Central Government employees.
The decision will benefit 7.58 lakh teachers and equivalent academic staff in the 106 Universities / Colleges which are funded by the UGC/MHRD and also 329 Universities which are funded by State Governments and 12,912 Govt. and private aided colleges affiliated to State Public Universities.
In addition, the revised pay package will cover teachers of 119 Centrally Funded Technical Institutions viz. IITs, IISc, IIMs, IISERs, IIITs, NITIE. etc.
The approved pay scales would be applicable from 1.1.2016. The annual Central financial liability on account of this measure would be about Rs. 9,800 crore.
The implementation of this pay revision will enhance the teachers’ pay in the range of Rs. 10,400 and Rs. 49,800 as against the extant entry pay due to the implementation of the 6th Central Pay Commission for the pay of teachers. This revision would register an entry pay growth in the range of 22% to 28 %.
For the State Govt. funded institutions, the revised pay scales will require adoption by the respective State Governments. The Central Government will bear the additional burden of the States on account of revision of pay scales. The measures proposed in the revised pay structure are expected to improve quality of higher education and also attract and retain talent.
Related to Your Search:
- Revision of Allowances as per 7th CPC to University and College Teachers
- 7th CPC Pay Matrix for Teachers and Equivalent Cadres in Universities and Colleges
- Revision of allowances of teachers, equivalent academic staff, Registrars, Finance Officers and Controller of Examination in Universities and colleges as per recommendations of 7th CPC
- 7th CPC Payment of Arrears to Teachers and Academic Staff of Technical Institutes
- Report on pay hike of teachers
- Retirement age 65 : Cabinet today approved the proposal to relax the condition of enhancement of age of superannuation of teachers to 65
- Seventh Pay Commission Pay Matrix Table for Teachers and other Academic Staff
- UGC: Pay panel hike for 20%
- UGC Pay Review Committee Recommendations for University and College teachers – 20% Pay Hike, Performance linked Promotion etc.