Treatment of period of Railway employees sent for medical treatment of serious ailments like Cancer, Tuberculosis or Polio myelitis as Govt. duty: NFIR writes to Railway Board
National Federation of Indian Railwaymen
3, CHELMSFORD ROAD, NEW DELHI – 110 055
The Secretary (E),
Sub: Treatment of period of Railway employees sent for medical treatment of serious ailments like Cancer, Tuberculosis or Polio myelitis -reg.
Federation desires to invite attention of the Railway Board to the provisions contained in Rule No. 1676 (1) extract of which is reproduced below:-
“A Railway servant suffering from Cancer, Tuberculosis or Polio myelitis who is sent to a hospital referred in Rule 643 RI for treatment on the advice of the authorised Medical Attendant shall be entitled to travelling allowance as for a journey on tour to and from the place of treatment, but no daily allowance shall be admissible for any halts”
As per the above provision Railway employee or a family member of the employee if suffering from Cancer, Tuberculoses or Polio myelitis and sent to Railway Hospital or referred to another Hospital for treatment is entitled for payment of travelling allowance similar to the journey on tour, to and from the place of treatment.
NFIR has noted that the rules, however, do not cover the period of absence during the medical treatment of the Railway employee or member of his/her family. Reports received by the Federation from Zones/Divisions reveal that Railway employees have been facing difficulties in absence of adequate provision as the period spent by the employee is debited against ‘leave due‘ and sometimes leads to ‘Nil’ balance which causes further hardships as the employees are denied salary due to non- availability of adequate amount of leave in the leave account.
NFIR, therefore requests the Railway Board to make suitable provision in the rules for treating such periods as duty, may be, on production of medical certificate from the authorised medical officer and issue instructions accordingly. This will send a right message among the Railway employees as a positive welfare measure. A copy of the instructions issued may be endorsed to the Federation.
(Dr. M. Raghavaiah)
Related to Your Search:
- Payment of 7th CPC Leave Salary to the Running Staff – Railway Employees NFIR
- 7th Pay Commission Hospital Patient Care Allowance to Group ‘C’ &’D’ Railway employees working in Railway Hospitals
- Grant of Hospital Patient Care Allowance (HPCA) & Patient Care Allowance (PCA) to Group ‘C’ & ‘D’ (non-ministerial) Railway employees working in Railway Hospitals & Health Units/Clinics.
- Debit and Credit note for treatment of patient (Railway Medical Beneficiary) to other Railway Hospital with or without referral – Simplification of Process
- Reimbursement of Medical claims of serving and retired Railway employees
- Revision of Over Time Allowance to Railway Employees consequent upon revision of pay scales and allowances
- Grant of Advance for Cancer treatment in Non-Empanelled Private Hospitals / Private Nursing Home under CGHS / CS (MA) Rules
- Illegal withdrawal of Family Planning Allowance – withdrawal of orders
- Issuance of Special Passes on Medical grounds for follow-up medical treatment in outstation Hospitals