Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel & Training)
2nd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan,
Khan Market, New Delhi
Dated the 27th August, 2020
Subject: Exercise of Split Option under Saving Clause of FR-22(1)(a)(1) by officers of all grades of Central Secretariat Service (CSS) cadre
The undersigned is directed to say that the matter relating to extending the benefit of “split-option’ available under Saving Clause of FR-22(1)(a)(1) to the serving officers of all grades of Central Secretariat Service (CSS) cadre promoted on adhoc basis was examined in this Department in consultation with Department of Expenditure.
- According to above clause to FR-22(I)(a)(1), save in cases of appointment on deputation to an ex-cadre post, or to a post on an ‘adhoc basis’, the Government servant shall have the option, to be exercised within one month from the date of promotion or appointment, as the case may be, to have the pay fixed under the said rule from the date of such promotion or appointment or to have the pay fixed initially at the stage of the time scale of the new post above the pay in the lower grade or post from which he is promoted on ‘regular’ basis, which may be refixed in accordance with the said rule on the date of accrual of next increment in the scale of pay of the lower grade or post.
- After giving due consideration to the special circumstances in which regular appointments could not be made in various grades of CSS Cadre for a long time and in the meanwhile many of the officers of CSS cadre were promoted on adhoc basis and are continuing as such without being reverted, it has been decided to relax one-time the condition of promotion/ appointment on regular’ basis and allow the option as laid down in saving clause below FR-22(I)(a)(1) in case of officers of CSS cadre promoted on adhoc basis subject to the following conditions:
- An undertaking may be obtained from each officer, who exercises option in terms of Saving Clause below FR-22(I)(a)(1) to the effect that in case, his name is not approved for regular appointment, he would be liable to refund the over payment, if any, on this account. No recovery will, however, be made in case of a person continuing on an adhoc basis, who retires before his case is considered for regular appointment; and
- The relaxation will apply to those cases where an officer has continued on adhoc basis for more than a year without break.
- All Ministries/ Departments may decide the issue of allowing the benefit of ‘split-option’ as a one-time measure, to the eligible and willing officers of CSS cadre who were promoted on adhoc basis and are still in service as on the date of issue of this O.M. on a case to case to basis, in consultation with their Financial Advisers and subject to fulfillment of above conditions and other conditions prescribed under the Rules.
- This issues with the concurrence of the Department of Expenditure vide their I.D Note No.03-10/ 2020-E-III(A) dated 23.07.2020.
Under Secretary to the Government of India