Railway CCS Pension Rules 2021
No BPS/SG/CCS/ Pension Rules/22/4
M/O Railway (Railway Board)
GOI -M/O Personnel, PG & Pensions-DOP&PW
Subject: Revision of RAILWAY SERVICES (PENSION) RULES, 1993 on the pattern of CCS pension 2021
Reference: 1. MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS – DOP&PW NOTIFICATION Dated: 20th December, 2021 (CCS Pension Rules 2021) 2. M/O Personnel, PG & Pensions – DOP&PW No 1/(52)/2022-P & PW (E) Dated: 14th June, 2022
The Preface of Manual of RAILWAY SERVICES (PENSION) RULES, 1993 reads: ‘The present volume is thus, a self-contained compilation codifying all the Pension Rules applicable to Railway Servants in the form of statutory rules, on the pattern of Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972 applicable on the civil side.’
Indian Railway used to be a separate entity with a separate Budget during the British Raj and continued to be so even after that. But with the merger of Railway budget with the general budget of India it is no more a separate entity & is very much part of Civil administration of Govt. of India.
MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS is the nodal Ministry for pension related matters where as Ministry of Railways is the administrative Ministry Railway Pensioners too are Central Government civil pensioners for all purpose. OMs/Circulars etc issued by the DOP & PW apply to them including the accepted recommendation of CPCs (though on recirculation by Rly BD).
CIVIL APPELLATE JURISDICTION; CIVIL APPEAL NO. 3173 OF 2018 (Arising out of S.L.P(CIVIL) No. 5456 OF 2018)- Union of India Versus R. Sethumadhavan & Anr. Judgment by Honourable Justice Madan B. Lokur, dated 22.03.2018
Para 3 of the judgment reads. “We recommend to the Department of Personnel and Training of the Government of India to try and make life after retirement easier for a Government servant by having appropriate legislation enacted by Parliament or applicable Pension Rules rather than a khichdli of Instructions, Office Memorandum, Clarifications, and Corrigenda and so on and so forth”.
Honourable Supreme Court recorded the above recommendation while passing judgment in the case of responded R. Sethumadhavan (Train Examiner). Recommendation, of the Honorable Supreme court vide their Para 3 were squarely with reference to rules applicable to the respondent who happened to be an ex Rly employee.
Taking note of court’s recommendation DOP & PW stream lined CCS Pension Rules 1972 & notified revised CCS pension Rules 2021. But Railway Administration perhaps inadvertently overlooked Court’s recommendation and continued with the rules drawn in 1993 on the pattern of CCS pension Rules 1972.
Related to Your Search:
- After 7th CPC, the limits on two family pension payable to a child in support of both parents is revised
- 7th CPC Pension News : Separate orders will be issued to Armed Forces pensioners/family pensioners
- Payment of lump-sum compensation to railway employees covered under NPS on retention in Railway service
- Implementation of 7th Central Pay Commission – Revision of provisions regulating pension/gratuity/commutation of pension/family pension/disability pension/ex-gratia
- NPS to Railway Services Pension Rules 1993 Whose appointment was finalized before 01.01.2004 but who joined the Railway Service on or after 01.01.2004
- Provisional release of retirement benefits as per Rule 91 of Railway Services (Pension) Rules, 1993
- Coverage under Railway Services Pension Rules 1993 in place of NPS of those Railway employees whose selection for appointment was finalized before 01.01.2004 but who joined Railway service on or after 01.01.2004
- 2021 – Rule 2 of the Central Civil Services (National Pension System Implementation) Rules
- Gazette Notification regarding the amendment in the Central Civil Services (Commutation of Pension) Rules, 1981