Restoration of Old Pension Scheme – Loksabha Q & A
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO:3569
TO BE ANSWERED ON JULY 15.07.2019
Restoration of Old Pension Scheme
Will the Minister of FINANCE be pleased to state:-
(a) whether the demand is being made by trade unions/Government employees to restore the old pension scheme for the Central Government employees as the pension amount is lower and uncertain under the new pension scheme which was implemented in the year 2004;
(b) if so, whether the Government is considering the aforesaid demand of the employees; and
(c) if so, the details thereof and if not, the reasons therefor?
The Minister of State (Finance)
(Shri Anurag Singh Thakur)
(a) Yes, Sir.
(b) and (c) Due to rising and unsustainable pension bill, the Government had made a conscious move to shift from the defined benefit, pay-as-you-go pension scheme to defined contribution pension scheme now called as National Pension System (NPS). The transition also helped in freeing the limited resources of the Government for more productive and socio-economic sectoral development.
There is no proposal to replace the NPS with old pension scheme in respect of Central Government employees recruited on or after 01.01.2004.
Related to Your Search:
- REINTRODUCTION OF OLD PENSION SCHEME
- Scrapping of New Pension Scheme
- Central Government Rejects the Demand to Scrap National Pension System
- Whether the Government is planning to reconsider the Old Pension Scheme on optional basis for Central Government Employees?
- Abolition of Contributory Pension Scheme
- Government employees demand restoration of old pension scheme
- National Pension System MOF Letter
- Central Government Employees long pending prominent issues
- Government proposes to revise the pension laws implemented in the year 1995