Reservation in promotion for differently-abled people
Press Information Bureau
Ministry of Personnel,
Public Grievances & Pensions
21-July, 2016 15:12 IST
Section 33 of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and full Participation) Act, 1995 (PWD Act, 1995) mandates every appropriate Government to appoint in every establishment such percentage of vacancies not less than 3% of persons with disability of which 1% each shall be reserved for persons suffering from:
(i) Blindness or low vision;
(ii) Hearing impairment and
(iii) Locomotor disability or cerebral palsy in the posts identified for each disability
During the period from 01/04/2015 to 14/07/2016, the Office of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities has received 101 grievances/complaints from persons with disabilities in respect of issues relating to promotion/fixation of seniority in their respective departments/organisations.
Section 47 (2) of the PWD Act, 1995 which is in force, provides that “no promotion shall be denied to a person merely on the ground of his disability”. Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities takes steps to safeguard the rights and facilities made available to persons with disabilities under PWD Act, 1995 on receipt of any complaint or on its own motion.
This was stated by the Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Jitendra Singh in a written reply to a question by Shri C.P.Narayanan in the Rajya Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- Employment to Differently Abled
- 3% Reservation in Allotment of Land to Physically Handicapped
- THE DRAFT RIGHTS OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES BILL, 2012
- Promotion of the Visually Impaired
- Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (PRwD Act, 2016)
- Welfare Measures for Persons with Disabilities
- DoPT Orders 2019 – Exemption from payment of examination fee and application fee in respect of Persons with Benchmark Disabilities
- Reservation for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities – Suggestions ; if any, from all concerned including general public
- Revised Forms for Disability Certificates – Reservation for Persons with Disabilities