One Rank One Pension (OROP) Veterans on fast for full OROP
Ex-servicemen’s groups demanding the “full implementation” of the one rank, one pension (OROP) scheme at Jantar Mantar have once again intensified their agitation since last week.
Three veterans – Mrs. Sudesh Goyat, Hav. Major Singh and Hav. Mohinder Singh – have been on a fast-unto-death since January 15. Ms. Goyat was admitted to the Army’s Research & Referral (RR) hospital on Sunday after her health deteriorated and is now reported to be stable.
OROP – Veterans hurt
While some of the veterans withdrew their protests after the government announced the implementation of its version of the OROP, members of the Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement (IESM) restarted the relay hunger-strike in November last year after a pause.
“On Veterans Day on January 14, 2017, Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre said that some elements were spreading false statements despite the government implementing OROP. This accusation has hurt the three veterans so much that they began a fast the next day,” Maj. Gen. Satbir Singh, Chairman of the IESM, said on Monday.
He said that they had requested several meetings with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, but they were declined. “We suggested a video conference as the Minister is campaigning in Goa, but they refused,” he said.
Source: The Hindu
Related to Your Search:
- In One Rank One Pension Rs.8000 Crore Diwal Gift for Veterans-NDTV
- One Rank One Pension – Veterans to Return Medals Across the Country
- Ex-Servicemen Launch Protest Against One Rank One Pension Notification
- FLASH NEWS ON ONE RANK ONE PENSION – OROP FILE HAS BEEN CLEARED BY FINMIN AND IS NOW WITH PM
- One Rank One Pension: Government veterans close to a deal?
- One Rank One Pension (OROP): V K Singh to mediate between ex-servicemen & government
- One Rank One Pension announcement likely on Friday (28.8.2015)
- One Rank One Pension – Ex-servicemen Take the Fight to Another Level – Ready to fight for their rights in the Supreme Court
- One Rank, One Pension proposal this week