Non Resident Indians (NRIs) can now join and subscribe to NPS online through eNPS
NRIs have a pivotal role to play in the Indian economy. India has the second-largest Diaspora in the world, with around 29 million people living in over 200 countries and out of these 25% live in the Gulf countries. Most of the Indians going to the Gulf and some other countries go for employment and return to India after having worked abroad for a certain period.
NPS can provide a long term solution to their old age income security. NPS has been available to NRIs for some time through Bank offices and now, to further ease the process of joining, eNPS is being extended to Non-Resident Indian subscribers.
NRIs can now open NPS Accounts online if they have Aadhaar Card or PAN card
Till now, NRIs could open NPS accounts only through paper applications by approaching Bank offices but this has now changed. Through eNPS, a subscriber will be able to open an NPS account from the comfort of his home. All he will need is an internet connection and an Aadhaar/ PanCard.
Further, NRIs will be able to open NPS accounts both on Repatriable and on Non Repatriable basis. On a Repatriable basis, an NRI will have to remit the amount through his/her NRE/FCNR/NRO account.
For Non-Repatriable scheme, NRIs will be able to join NPS through their NRE/FCNR/NRO accounts at the time of maturity or during partial withdrawal, the NPS funds would be deposited only in their NRO accounts.
Both Repatriable and Non-Repatriable schemes will greatly appeal to NRIs who intend to return to India after their employment abroad, in view of their attractive returns, low cost, flexibility and their being regulated by the PFRDA, a Regulator established by the Central Government .
Related to Your Search:
- NRI Investments in NPS
- Tax benefit available under National Pension System (NPS)
- Online Subscriber Registration and contribution under NPS using eNPS platform
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY) can now be subscribed digitally
- PFRDA – Option for Central Government employees to on-board NPS through eNPS
- Government considering Aadhaar Card for NRIs: Swaraj
- Atal Pension Yojana surges ahead with 62 lacs enrolment
- 11 lakh accounts opened under Sukanya Samriddhi scheme in Tamil Nadu
- CGA’s Instruction : Appointment of new TB (Trustee Bank) under NPS (National Pension System)