Nomination of Area Welfare Officers for the calendar years 2013 and 2014 regarding
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Khan Market, New Delhi.
Dated the 15th October, 2012.
Subject: Nomination of Area Welfare Officers for the calendar years 2013 and 2014 regarding.
The Department of Personnel & Training nominates Gazetted Officers as Area Welfare Officers (AWOs) for residential colonies to look after the welfare of Central Govt. employees and their families Area Welfare Officer is only a functional arrangement to provide a link between the Central Government employees residing in various colonies and the concerned civic and other agencies providing service to them. A list of functions of Area Welfare Officer is enclosed. The functions of AWOs are official in nature and are performed by them on honorary and voluntary basis. Only those officers who are willing to function as Area Welfare Officer and can spare time for welfare work will be considered for nomination. The Area Welfare Officers serve as a vital link between the Government and residents in various matters relating to the welfare of Government employees residing in various colonies.
2. The tenure of the Area Welfare Officers shall be for a period of two years (commencing from 1.1.2013) or till the services are required by the Govt. whichever is earlier. The Area Welfare Officers are entitled to use office stationery and service postage stamps etc. for discharging their duties as AWO. They are allowed to leave office, with prior permission, for meeting the civic/policy authorities for solving the problems of the residents of their localities.
3. The applicant should not be an office bearer of Central Government employees or any other Residents Welfare Association. Further, officers seeking appointment as AWO should preferably have a residential telephone. No telephone / reimbursement of Telephone rent, facility will be available to AWO nominated by DOPT.
4. Applications from those officers, who are willing to work in honorary and voluntary capacity, as Area Welfare Officers duly recommended by the Department/administrative authority concerned may be forwarded and must reach the undersigned within 45 daysfrom the date of issue of this O.M.A. Format for application is also enclosed.
FUNCTIONS OF AREA WELFARE OFFICER
1. To function as coordinating officer between the CGHS Dispensary and its beneficiaries regarding complaints from either side.
2. To attend to all emergency hospital work like help in expeditious hospitalisation of serious cases, attending to complaints regarding hospital care, etc,
3. To serve on the CGHS Area Advisory Committee for considering suggestions for the improvement of service and facilities.
4. To act as liaison officer for Community Hall and look to its proper functioning and improvement.
5. To act as liaison officer between the Ministry of Personnel., PG and Pensions and the local Association in all matters and disputes and to mediate in election disputes at the request of the parties.
6. To investigate all cases of neighbourly disputes referred to him by the Depit of Personnel and furnish report on the basis of which action- can be taken by the Directorate of Estates for shifting the erring party to another locality.
7. To act as liaison officer between the Associations and Municipal authorities in all Companies regarding civic services, water electricity, Street lighting, drainage, bus service, sanitary service and vaccination and inoculation services.
8. To act as liaison officer with local police authorities regarding any incident in the locality involving law and order.
9. To act as liaison officer with the Education Directorate regarding complaints about school timing, admission, etc.
10. To act as liaison officer between the Co-operative consumer store and the beneficiaries in the area.
11, To act as liaison officer between CPWD authorities and the allottees regarding Complaints lodged with the CPWD Enquiry office for their speedy disposal.
12. To keep in touch with all the social and cultural bodies in the area.
13. To act as liaison officer with all activities of Grih Kalyan Kendra in the area including ‘Creche’.
14. To act as liaison officer between the colony and the Central Secretariat Spoils Control Board in all activities of the Board.
15. To mediate in family dispute to bring about harmony in the home life in the Context of Home Ministry circular for maintaining the wife in a reasonable comfort and matter relating to notation of monograncy.
16. To assist and cooperate in campaigns and measures such as vaccination in Oculation blood donation family planning etc., launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Planning.
Note: The above list is only illustrative and not exhaustive.
GUIDELINES / CRITERIA FOR SELECTION 0F AREA WELFARE OFFICERS
1. The tenure of Area Welfare Officers shall be for Iwo years from the date of appointment or till their services ere required by the Government whichever is earlier. However, if there is no other candidate for the area, the old AWO, if he has applied afresh, should be allowed to continue for anothher term.
2. He should be a gazetted officer.
3. The Residents Welfare Association should not be allowed lo nominate any name for AWOs.
4 He must be a resident of the area for which he is the applicant and the area (including the adjacent areas) should have at least 300 Govt. employees residing in that area(s).
5. The officer applying should not be an office bearer of Central Government employee or any other Residents Welfare Association.
6. He should not be retiring within 2 years of his appointment as AWO i.e. he should serve for full term of two years as AWO.
7. He should possess sound health to undertake the job in question.
8. Preference should be given to those, who have telephones at their residences.
9. He should not be a controversial person.