No GST on Annual subscription/fees charged as lodging/boarding charges by educational institutions from its students for hostel accommodation;
Services provided by an educational institution to students, faculty and staff are fully exempt from GST.
There are some reports that [email protected]% will be levied on annual subscription/fees charged for lodging in hostels. This is not true. There is no change in tax liability relating to education and related services in the GST era, except reduction in tax rate on certain items of education.
It may be mentioned that services provided by an educational institution to students, faculty and staff are fully exempt. Educational institution has been defined as an institution imparting
(i) pre-school education and education up to higher secondary school or equivalent;
(ii) education as a part of a curriculum for obtaining a qualification recognised by any law for the time being in force;
(iii) education as a part of an approved vocational education course.
Thus, services of lodging/boarding in hostels provided by such educational institutions which are providing pre-school education and education up to higher secondary school or equivalent or education leading to a qualification recognised by law, are fully exempt from GST. Annual subscription/fees charged as lodging/boarding charges by such educational institutions from its students for hostel accommodation shall not attract GST.
Related to Your Search:
- Annual ceiling for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance for CG Employees
- Income tax exemption on children education allowance
- Group X Pay on 7th Pay Commission Report
- Child Education Allowance Hostel Subsidy for the year 2019-2020
- Guidelines for Submission of Children Education Allowance Claim
- Amendment in essential qualification for Recruitment of Primary Teachers in KVS
- Make Sports a Compulsory Subject in Schools and give marks for it: Sports Minister Vijay Goel
- Minimum educational qualification for open market recruitment to various posts on the Railways
- Introduction of new Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Pre-Matric Scholarship for needy Scheduled Tribe Students, Studying in Classes IX & X