MPs demand hike in salary but widows of defence personnel get only Rs.3,500: Anna Hazare gives 2 months deadline for OROP implementation
Anti-corruption crusader joins ex-servicemen protest: The Hindu
The ex-servicemen protesting non-implementation of the One Rank, One Pension (OROP) scheme got a shot in the arm as Gandhian activist Anna Hazare joined them at Jantar Mantar on Sunday.
Mr. Hazare, a former soldier, came down heavily on Prime Minister Narendra Modi without naming him. He accused him of ignoring the aspirations of the people and said there was an “immediate need” for the Centre and the Delhi government to “resolve their issues”.
Speaking from the dais of the United Front of Ex-Servicemen, the veteran anti-corruption crusader said “mere assurances” served little purpose and set a two-month deadline for the implementation of the scheme. “They [Mr. Modi and the BJP] told us in Rohtak that the OROP would be implemented as soon as they came to power. But nothing has happened so far. We will hold rallies in Ludhiana on August 2, in Rohtak on August 9 and in Maharashtra on August 23 to create awareness about OROP. On October 2, we will protest at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi on One Rank One Pension,” Mr Hazare said.
Hits out at MPs
Criticising MPs’ demand for a hike in salary, he said they get several benefits but widows of the defence personnel get only Rs. 3,500.
“MPs want a salary hike despite the fact that they get air fare, Class AC 1 ticket in trains, a bungalow, vehicles and a salary of Rs.50,000. And we have wives and mothers of the defence personnel who get Rs.3,500-Rs.4,500. Is this justice and is this our freedom?” he wondered.
Read at: The Hindu
Related to Your Search:
- One Rank One Pension (OROP) rally in Delhi: Anna Hazare
- Anna Hazare Prepares for Nationwide Protests for OROP
- OROP: Modi Requests Withdrawal of Protests; Anna Hazare cancels hunger strike
- Good news soon on One Rank One Pension (OROP): Parrikar
- Ex-servicemen meet Army chief to settle One Rank One Pension
- OROP Latest News : National Ex-servicemen Coordination committee meets Defense Minister 22.4.2015
- Behaviour of ex-servicemen protesting the notification on OROP scheme is “unlike that of a soldier
- 7th pay commission report will be ‘Badly Affected’ following recent OROP announcement
- Expedition Process of OROP