Levy of Service Tax on Railway Passengers Travelling in Ac Classes/First Class from 1st October 2012
No Service Tax to be Levied on Tickets Issued Prior to 1st October 2012
In Case of Cancellation of Tickets Issued on or after 1st October 2012, the Applicable Amount Including Service Tax to be Refunded by Railways
The Ministry of Railways has made partial modification in levy of Service Tax on the fare of passengers travelling in AC Classes/First Class from 1st October 2012. As per the corrigendum issued by Ministry of Railways today i.e. 28.9.2012, there are following changes:
(i) Service Tax amounting to 3.708% on the total fare of passenger services in (a) AC First Class, (b) Executive Class, (c) AC-2 tier Class, (d) AC-3 tier class, (e) AC Chair Car class, (f) AC Economy class and (g) First Class is leviable from the 1st day of October 2012. It has been clarified that the Service Tax would be collected on the tickets issued/bookings made on or after 01.10.2012. Service Tax is not leviable on tickets issued prior to 01.10.2012 and hence will not be collected on board the trains.
(ii) In case of cancellation of tickets booked by the passengers on or after 01.10.2012, the applicable amount including refundable Service Tax amount will be refunded by Railways as per Railway refund rules and Finance Ministry guidelines.
Related to Your Search:
- Procedure Order for Implementing Service Tax Refunds on Passenger Fare Tickets Booked and Cancelled on or after 01.10.2012
- Service Tax on Railway Passengers Travelling in AC Class/First Class
- Indian Railways New Fare List 2013 : Revision in Passenger Fares w.e.f. 22.01.2013
- Relaxation from payment of Service Charge in internet booking of Railway tickets through IRCTC
- Indian Railways announced on Tuesday an increase in ticket price across its network from 1 January 2020
- Tatkal Booking Timings Change – Online Booking Passengers Pleased
- Wait list passengers in Railway will be offered plane tickets
- Minimum train fare to be increased from Rs 5 to Rs 10 at Par with platform ticket
- Charging higher fares in Premium Tatkal tickets