Central Government Departmental Canteens
Controller General of Defence Accounts
Ulan Batar Road, Palam, Delhi Cantt. – 110010
F. No. No. AN/III/3012/Circular/ Vol.X
All PCsDA/ PCA (Fys.)/ PIFAs/
(through CGDA website).
Subject: Introduction of healthy and hygienic foods in the Departmental Canteens.
The U.N. General Assembly adopted a resolution, sponsored by India, declaring 2023 as the International Year of Millets. The resolution is intended to increase public awareness on the health benefits of millets and their suitability for cultivation under tough conditions marked by climate change.
2. In line with the resolution adopted by UN General Assembly and in compliance of the instructions received from the Ministry, the undersigned is directed to advise Controllers offices to restrict fried food items and aerated cold drinks in their menu and replace with healthy/ millets based food items in their departmental canteen such as poha, moong dal chilla, upama, rajama wrap, fruit shakes in snacks and khichadi, missi/ bajara roti, dal, seasonal vegetable, curd etc. in lunch.
3. In this context, a copy of Ministry of Personnel & Public Grievances & Pensions, Department of Personnel & Training’s OM no. 4/1/2022-Dir(C) dated 19.09.2022 alongwith copy of DO letter no. G.20011/01/2016-HC dated 22.08.2022 from Shri Alok Saxena, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare is enclosed.
Accounts Officer (Admin.)
No. 4/1/2022-Dir (C)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan
Khan Market, New Delhi, the 13th of Sept, 2022
Subject: International Millets Year-2023 Video Conference for introduction of healthy and hygienic foods in the Departmental Canteens regarding.
The undersigned is directed to refer to Ministry of Health & Family Welfare’s D.O. letter No.- G.2011/01/2016-HC dated 22.08.2022 (copy enclosed) on the above subject and to say that as per the proposal brought forward by Government of India, the U.N. General Assembly recently adopted a resolution, declaring 2023 as the International Year of Millets. The resolution is intended to increase public awareness on the health benefits of millets and their suitability for cultivation under tough conditions marked by climate change.
2. In view of the above, the departmental canteens are advised to restrict fried food items and aerated cold drinks in their menu and replace with healthy/ millets based food items.
3. In addition, a Video Conference is also proposed to be convened with all the nodal officers of departmental Canteens of Central Government Offices for introduction of healthy and hygienic foods in Departmental Canteens.
4. All the Ministries/ Departments are requested to furnish the details of the respective nodal officer (of the rank of Deputy Secretary/ Director or equivalent) looking after the charge of departmental canteen, who will attend the said Video Conference. The details may also be e-mailed at the ID [email protected]. This may be given top priority.
Under Secretary to the Government of India