Government considering report on age limit for civil service exams
Nearly eight months after its submission, the report of Baswan committee that suggested changes in civil service exam pattern and age limit is under examination, the government has said.
The committee had submitted its report to the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 9 August 2016.
“The Baswan Committee’s report along with UPSC’s recommendations on it has been received on 20 March 2017 and the same is under examination,” the department of personnel and training (DoPT) said in response to an RTI query filed by a PTI correspondent.
Thousands of aspirants appear in the civil service exam conducted annually by the UPSC in three stages – preliminary, mains and interview – to select officers for Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Police Service (IPS), among others.
The UPSC had constituted the expert committee under the chairmanship of former human resource development secretary and retired IAS officer B S Baswan to review the scheme of civil service examination in August 2015.
The committee is understood to have recommended reduction in upper age limit of 32 years to appear in the civil service exam, officials said.
“The recommendations made by the committee including on pattern of civil service examination and age limit are presently under consideration of the UPSC,” minister of state for personnel Jitendra Singh had told Rajya Sabha in a written reply in November last year.
In a related development, the UPSC has fixed a seven-day time frame for candidates to report mistakes or discrepancies in questions asked in the various examinations conducted by it.
Related to Your Search:
- Recruitment of talented Civil Servants: Rajya Sabha Q&A
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam, 2012 Result Announced
- Age Relaxation for Ex-Servicemen for appearing in Civil Services Exam
- Proposed Changes in UPSC Examination
- 6-month limit to complete graft enquiries against babus
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Exam. 2011
- Select List of Section Officer’s Grade for the year 2010 against Examination Quota on the basis of Combined Limited Departmental Competitive Exam -2009, 2010 & 2011 held by the UPSC
- Examination for Confirmation of Enrollment of GST Practitioners
- Equal Pay for Equal Work – 7th CPC Report