Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
Setting up of Centre for Disability Sports at Gwalior in Madhya
01 MAR 2019
The Government has approved the proposal regarding setting up of a Centre for Disability Sports at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, to be registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, which is to function under the name of Centre for Disability Sports, Gwalior. Setting up of the Centre shall entail an estimated cost of Rs 170.99 crore (Non-recurring Rs.151.16 crore and Recurring Rs 19.83 crore), spread over a period of 5 years.
The Centre will have an Outdoor Athletic Stadium, Indoor Sports Complex, Basement Parking Facility; Aquatic Centre having 2 Swimming Pools, one covered Pool and an Outdoor Pool; High Performance Centre with classrooms; medical facilities; Sports Science Centre; hostel facilities for athletes, support facilities including accessible lockers, dining, recreational amenities and Administrative Block. The facilities so developed would be multi-functional centres with provision for training, selection, sports academics and research, medical support, spectator galleries and suitable for holding national/international events.
The sports identified for training in the Centre are as under:
- Integrated sports (Indoor) like Badminton, Basketball, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing and Rugby;
- Adapted sports (Indoor) like Boccia, Goalball, Football 5 a side, Para Dance Sport and Para Power Lifting;
- Integrated sports (Outdoor) like Athletics, Archery, Football 7 a side and Tennis; and
- Integrated sports (Indoor & Outdoor) – Swimming.
Taking 1st April, 2019 as the zero date, the project is expected to be completed in two years time, i.e, by 31st March, 2021. Thereafter, it will take another 6 months for the Centre to become operational.
Once operational, this Centre will result in employment of 140 personnel. In addition, construction and allied activities will also generate considerable employment opportunities.
Improved sports infrastructure created by this Centre will ensure effective participation of persons with disabilities in sports activities and also enable them to compete at national and international levels. Setting up of the Centre will develop a sense of belonging in Divyangjan to facilitate their integration in society.
Related to Your Search:
- Use of Sports facilities of Sports Authority of India under Come & Play Scheme for Central Government Employees & their dependent families
- ‘Come and Play’: Govt tells central goverment employees
- Use of Sports facilities of Sports Authority of India under Come & Play Scheme in Swimming(at Talkatora Stadium), Badminton, Table Tennis & Fitness Centre for Central Government Employees & their dependent families
- Sports Facilities of Central Civil Services Cultural Sports Board available for Central Government Employees and their families
- Promotion of Sports/Games
- Implementation of schemes for promotion/development of sports
- Action taken on Reimbursement of Medical Expenses with FMA @ Rs. 100/- per month – BPMS
- Sports Facilities of Sports Authority of India and Central Civil Services Cultural Sports Board for Central Government Employees, their families and dependents
- Inter-Ministry Swimming championship 2017-2018