Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Dies at 83
Shillong: India’s 11th President APJ Abdul Kalam died on Monday evening at a hospital in Meghalaya, where he had gone to deliver a lecture. He was 83.
The former President, who was in office from 2002 to 2007, had collapsed during the lecture at the Indian Institute of Management, Shillong, around 6.30 pm. He was taken to the Bethany hospital. Doctors said he had suffered from a massive cardiac arrest.
“President Kalam was brought to the hospital at 7 pm. When he brought in there was no sign of life. He was taken to ICU to try and revive him, which was futile,” hospital sources told NDTV.
The government will declare a seven-day national mourning, reported Press Trust of India, quoting Union Home Secretary LC Goel
Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted, “Deeply saddened at the sudden demise of the former president of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. He was an inspiration to an entire generation.”
Messages of condolence also poured in from various leaders.
Known as the Missile Man of India, Dr Kalam had played a pivotal role in India’s Pokhran-II nuclear test in 1998. One of the most loved Presidents, he was also known as the People’s President. While in his 70s, he was nominated for the MTV Youth Icon of the Year award in 2003 and in 2006.
For his achievements, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan and Bharat Ratna.
Dr Kalam was born in Rameswaram on October 15, 1931, to a poor family. His father was a boatman.A bright student, his interest in flying led to a degree in aeronautical engineering, and eventually to supervising the development of India’s guided missile programme.
He was also the author of 10 books. His autobiography, Wings of Fire, written in 1999, had been a best seller.
Dr Kalam’s last tweet, posted in the morning, read:
Going to Shillong.. to take course on Livable Planet earth at iim. With @srijanpalsingh and Sharma.
Related to Your Search:
- 7 days state mourning will be observed throughout India from July 27.7.2015 to 2.8.2015
- No Holidays for Central Government Offices – Funeral of Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam will be held at 11 AM at Rameswaram on 30.7.2015
- G.O. Of Public Department of TN – Holiday on 30.07.2015 as a mark of respect to Late Thiru APJ Abdul Kalam
- Tamilnadu Government Declares Public Holiday on 30.7.2015 Over APJ Abdul Kalam’s demise
- MoD: Modernisation of Armed Forces top priority, says Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh
- Format to Issue Medical Disability Certificate for allotment of Government Accommodation
- Change of father’s name of students of Kendriya Vidyalayas – regarding.
- President, Vice-President, Governors may get a salary hike before CG Employees
- Providing immediate medical treatment to victims of crimes or road accidents