Ex-servicemen stage protest outside Jaitley residence for changing OROP scheme
New Delhi: Ex-servicemen seeking changes in the government’s One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme today staged a protest outside the official residence of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley here, alleging that he failed to respond to concerns raised by them during an earlier meeting.
This is the second time in two weeks the veterans have staged demonstrations outside the minister’s official residence.
“We had staged protest outside the Minister’s residence on January 3. At that time, he had assured us he will speak to Defence Minister (Manohar Parrikar) over our demands.
“He had said he would get back to us within a week. But it’s two weeks now that he has not responded. What kind of Finance Minister he is if he can not keep his word?” said Group Captain (retd) V K Gandhi.
Gandhi, general secretary of Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement, said the veterans will continue with their protest until Jaitley or Parrikar holds parleys with them.
“Either of the Ministers will have to come and speak to us. We will not move an inch from here until then. If they don’t want to give us actual OROP, they should clarify so to us. Why lie?” he said, reiterating that the government notification has “flaws” and was “unacceptable”.
Around 200 ex-servicemen including Major General Satbir Singh, who has been spearheading the protest, have been demonstrating outside Jaitley’s residence, Gandhi added.
Related to Your Search:
- Ex-servicemen meet FM Jaitley, seek changes in OROP notification
- Government to issue OROP notification before Diwali says Parrikar
- No VRS in defence services and so OROP will be applicable in PMR (Pre-mature Retirement)
- Ex-Servicemen Launch Protest Against One Rank One Pension Notification
- One Rank One Pension – Veterans to Return Medals Across the Country
- One Rank One Pension (OROP) Veterans on fast for full OROP
- One Rank One Pension – Ex-servicemen Take the Fight to Another Level – Ready to fight for their rights in the Supreme Court
- UFESM expected a date for implementation of OROP
- Small issues in OROP will be dealt in future: Defence Minister