Ex-servicemen meet Army chief to settle One Rank One Pension
New Delhi: A group of ex-servicemen led by Maj Gen Satbir Singh (retd) met the Army chief Dalbir Singh Suhag to discuss for early implementation of the ‘one rank, one pension’ scheme.
The group have decided to go on relay-hunger strike from June 15 for their demand. However Army chief Suhag appealed to them to postpone it.
“We met him requesting to use his good office to convey to the government that there is no multiple definition of OROP as as been said by various people from the government,” Singh told PTI.
He said that the Army chief is not only responsible for the welfare of the serving personnel but also the ex-servicemen.
Singh said that the ex-servicemen will hold a protest rally on June 15 and will undertake a relay hunger strike from next day.
“The Army chief suggested if we could postpone it. We told him that we will go ahead with our plans as it is not against any government or person but only to highlight the injustice being done against us,” he said.
One rank, one pension scheme has been a long-standing demand of nearly three million ex-servicemen in the country.
It seeks to ensure that a uniform pension is paid to defence personnel who retire at the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.
Vowing to address the “vexed” issue of OROP, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on May 31 sought “some time” from the ex-servicemen.
Modi said the issue is not as simple as he had thought but much more “vexed” as “problems” have been added to it over the years.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today said the issue of OROP is progressing very rapidly but some patience is required.
Inputs with PTI
Related to Your Search:
- Announcement on One Rank One Pension likely soon, says union minister
- One Rank One Pension: Meeting of Military veterans with Parrikar inconclusive, threaten to go on hunger strike
- One Rank One Pension (OROP): V K Singh to mediate between ex-servicemen & government
- Good news soon on One Rank One Pension (OROP): Parrikar
- OROP Scheme – VK Singh says the Centre is certainly committed to implement
- One Rank One Pension (OROP) Veterans on fast for full OROP
- OROP Row: Ex-servicemen may accept government terms: Asian Age News
- Government mulling committee to decide equalisation of pension issue
- One Rank One Pension – Modi may announce Ex-servicemen’s long-pending demand later this month