EPFO may pay 9% interest on PF deposits for 2015-16
Retirement fund body EPFO may provide 9 per cent interest on PF deposits for this fiscal, which is higher compared to 8.75 per cent provided in previous two fiscals to its over five crore subscribers.
The Employees Provident Fund Organisation’s (EPFO) finance panel has recommended raising the interest rate on statutory savings of over 5 crore subscribers from 8.75% to 8.95% during the current fiscal.
“The income projection of Rs 34,844.42 crore for the current fiscal is expected to be revised upward. Thus the body can provide 9 per cent rate of interest on PF deposits for 2015-16,” an EPFO trustee and Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh Secretary P J Banasure told PTI.
The Employees Provident Fund Organisation’s (EPFO) Finance Audit and Investment committee (FAIC) recommended 8.95 per cent interest on PF deposits for the current fiscal in its meeting earlier this week.
Banasure, who is also a member of FAIC said:”If the EPFO provides 8.95 per cent interest rate on PF deposits for 2015-16, it will leave a surplus of Rs 91 crore as per income projections worked out in September last year. But the FAIC will meet again later this month to vet the latest income estimate which is likely to be revised upward.”
According to EPFO income projections worked out in September, providing 9 per cent interest on PF will result in a deficit of Rs 100 crore. “We are expecting that there will be a surplus of Rs 100 crore on providing 9 per cent rate of interest on PF deposits when EPFO will work out the latest estimates. FAIC can change its recommendation in the next meeting and suggest 9 per cent interest rate for 2015-16,” he said.
The proposal has to be endorsed by the Central Board of Trustees (CBT) before the Finance Ministry notifies it.
However, there has been indications from the Finance Ministry that it will slash interest rate on small savings like public provident fund in view of the rate cut by Reserve Bank of India.
The EPFO provides rate of interest from the earning on investments of formal sector workers’ funds without any assistance from the government.
Related to Your Search:
- PF(Provident Fund) Interest Rate 8.75%
- EPF interest rate raised by 0.25 to 8.5 per cent for the current fiscal
- EPFO is likely to increase the interest rate on PF deposits for 2015-16, from 8.75% fixed for the last two financial years
- EPFO to decide PF interest rate on January 14
- 8.5% on PF deposits expected, EPFO board meeting likely on 4th October 2013
- EPFO Likely to Retain Interest Rate at 8.75%
- EPFO – Finance Ministry has approved 8.65% rate of interest on Employees Provident Fund (EPF) for 2018-19
- EPFO offers 8.8% interest for 2015-16, unions protest
- EPFO likely to provide 9% interest for 2014-15 – Economic Times