DoPT: Reservation for Economically Weaker Sections(EWSs) in Civil Posts and Services in the Government of India
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
19th January, 2019
Subject: Reservation for Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs) in civil posts and services in the Government of India
Reference is invited to Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment O.M. No.F.No.20013/01/2018-BC-1I dated 17.1.2019 on the above mentioned subject, which, inter-alia, reads as under:-
“1 . In pursuance of insertion of clauses 15(6) and 16(6) in the Constitution vide the Constitution (One Hundred and Third Amendment) Act, 2019 and in order to enable the Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs) who are not covered under the existing scheme of reservations for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes, to receive the benefits of reservation on a preferential basis in civil posts and services in the Government of India and admission in Educational Institutions, it has been decided by the Government to provide 10% reservation to EWSs in civil posts and services in Government of India and admission in
2. Persons who are not covered under the existing scheme of reservations for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes and whose family has gross annual income below Rs. 8.00 lakh are to be identified as EWSs for the benefit of reservation. Family for this purpose will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years. The income shall include income from all sources I.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession etc. and it will be income for the financial year prior to the year of application. Also persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWSs, irrespective of the family income:
i. 5 acres of Agricultural Land and above;
ii. Residential flat of 1000 sq. ft. and above;
iii. Residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities;
iv. Residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
3. The income and assets of the families as mentioned in para 2 would be required 10 be certified by an officer not below the rank of Tehsildar in the States/UTs. The officer who issues the certificate would do the same after carefully verifying all relevant documents following due process as prescribed by the respective State/ UT.
5. Instructions regarding reservation in employment and admission to educational institutions will be issued by DOPT and Ministry of HRD respectively. “
2. In pursuance of the above Office Memorandum, it is hereby notified that 10% reservation would be provided for Economically Weaker Sections (EWSs) in central government posts and services and would be effective in respect of all Direct Recruitment vacancies to be notified on or after 01 .02.2019.
3. Detailed Instructions regarding operation of roster and procedure for implementation of EWS reservation will be issued separately.
( Gyanendra Dev Tripathi)
Joint Secretary to the Government of India
Related to Your Search:
- 10% reservation would be provided for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in Central Government posts and services
- Backlog reserved vacancies for SCs, STs and OBCs with ten Ministries and Departments
- EWS – Reservation Persons with Benchmark Disabilities and Economically Weaker Sections who are serving employees – General Departmental Competitive Examination
- Cabinet approves Reservation in Teachers Cadre – The Central Educational Institutions Bill, 2019
- Reservation for Scheduled Castes
- EWS – Bank loans to Economically Weaker Section under various Schemes
- Revision of Income Criteria for Eligibility Under Various Housing Schemes
- Central Government Departments / Ministries – Reservation Policy
- Reservation Provisions for SC/ST/OBC – Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment