Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare
Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market,
New Delhi, the 25th June, 2020
Subject: Coverage under Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972, in place of National Pension System in terms of DoPPW OM dated 17.02.2020 – clarifications- regarding.
The undersigned is directed to say that instructions have been issued vide this Department’s O.M. of even number dated 17th February, 2020, that in all cases where the results for recruitment were declared before 01.01.2004, against vacancies occurring on or before 31.12.2003, the candidates declared successful for recruitment shall be eligible for coverage under the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972. Accordingly, such Government servants who were declared successful for recruitment in the results declared on or before 31.12.2003, against vacancies occurring before 01.01.2004 and are covered under the National Pension System on joining service on or after 01.01.2004, may be given a one-time option to be covered under the CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972.
2. References have been received in this Department seeking clarifications in regard to the implementation of the aforesaid instructions in certain circumstances. The issues raised by the various Departments have been examined in this Department and the position is clarified as under:
|S. No.||Issue raised||Clarification|
|1||A Government servant joined in a Department /Office of the Central Government on or after 01.01.2004 on the basis of results declared before 01.01.2004 against vacancies occurred prior to 01.01.2004 and thereafter joined another Central Government Department / Office with proper permission after tendering technical resignation. Can the option exercised by such a Government servant be considered in accordance with the O.M. dated 17.2.2020 and, if so, which Department / office will take a decision on such option.||Such a Government servant is also eligible to exercise option under O.M. dated 17.02.2020. A decision on the option shall be taken by the appointing authority of the post in the Department/Office for which such option is exercised by Government servant. In case the Government servant has submitted his option in his latest Department/office, that Department /Office shall forward the option to the concerned Department/office, for taking an appropriate decision. The decision taken by the concerned Department/Office shall be communicated to his latest Department. In such cases, the instructions relating to mobility as contained in this Department’s O.Ms. No. 28/30/2004-P&PW(B) dated 26.07.2005 and 28.10.2009 shall also be applicable and further action for counting of past service for pension/ gratuity shall be taken in accordance with the CCS(Pension) Rules, 1972 by the latest Department/Office.|
|2||Can an option exercised by a member of the family of the deceased Government servant be considered.||If a Government servant, who was otherwise eligible to exercise option in terms of the O.M. dated 17.02.2020, has already died, the option exercised by the member of the family, who is eligible to receive NPS benefits on death of the Government servant in accordance with PFRDA (Exits and Withdrawals under NPS) Regulations, may be accepted and processed in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s OM dated 17.02.2020. If, before his death, the Government servant had joined another Central Government Department/ office with proper permission after tendering technical resignation, the option exercised by the such nominee shall be processed in accordance with the clarification No. (1) above.|
|3||In cases covered by clarification No. (2), how will the amount of the corpus in the NPS account, which was transferred to the Government consequent on death of the Government servant in accordance with the O.M. No. 38/41/06/P&PW(A) dated 05.05.2009, be adjusted.||The amount of the corpus in the NPS account, which was transferred to the Government consequent on death of the Government servant, shall be adjusted in the manner indicated in para 9 of this Department’s O.M. dated 17.02.2020, with the modification that the employee’s contribution in the NPS account along with up-to-date interest, calculated on the rates applicable to GPF from time to time, shall be paid to the person in whose favour a nomination to receive NPS amount was submitted by the Government servant under the Regulations notified by PFRDA.|
|4.||Will the instructions contained in the OM dated 17.02.2020 be applicable in the case of Government servants who joined on or after 01.01.2004 on appointment on compassionate grounds. If so, how will the eligibility of such Government servants to exercise option under OM dated 17.02.2020 be determined.||A Government servant, who joined on or after 01.01.2004 on appointment on compassionate grounds, shall be eligible to exercise option in terms of the OM dated 17.02.2020, if the competent authority had taken the decision on the recommendation of the Screening/ Selection Committee to appoint the Government servant on compassionate grounds before 01.01.2004.|
3. All Ministries / Departments are requested to bring the contents of these clarifications to the notice of Controller of Accounts/ Pay and Accounts Officers, Attached office and Subordinate Offices under them.
4.Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
Related to Your Search:
- Option to receive payments in the event of the Subscriber’s death, invalidation, or disability while in service – Rule 10 of the CCS NPS Rules 2021
- Latest news on NPS to OPS – Amendment in CCS (Pension) Rules 1972 – Central Government employees
- NPS – Benefits to family of missing Central Government employees covered under National Pension System
- Exercise option within Three Months of the Date of Notification
- Gazette Notification – Central Civil Services CCS (Pension) Second Amendment Rules, 2019
- DoE: Central Civil Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2016 – opportunity for revision of option to come over to revised pay structure
- Coverage under CCS Pension Rules 1972 in place of NPS of those Central Government employees before 1st Jan 2004 but joined Government service on or after 01.01.2004
- Finmin Order 2013 : Re-exercise of option under Rule 6 of the CSS (RP) Rules, 2008, in case of employees covered under the OM dated 19.3.2012
- Army officers revised pay structure Opportunity for revision