Pension System for Government Employees
Shiva Gopal Mishra
National Council (Staff Side)
Joint Consultative Machinery
for Central Government Employees
13-C, Ferozshah Road, New Delhi – 110001
E-Mail : [email protected]
June 09, 2023
All the National Council
JCM Staff Side Members
All of you are aware that the Government of India, Ministry of Finance, vide its Notification dated 06/04/2023 has constituted a Committee to Review the Pension System for Government Employees Under the Chairmanship of The Finance Secretary & Secretary (Expenditure). The following Terms of Reference have been given to the Committee:
(i) Whether in the light of the existing framework and structure of the National Pension System, as applicable to Government employees, any changes therein are warranted.
(ii) If so, to suggest such measures as are appropriate to modify the same with a view to improving upon the pensionary benefits of Government employees covered under the National Pension System, keeping in view the fiscal implications and impact on overall budgetary space, so that fiscal prudence is maintained to protect the common citizens.
The Committee invited the Standing Committee Members of the National Council – JCM to hold discussions on 09/06/2023. The Staff side was represented in the meeting by Shri M. Raghavaiah Leader Staff Side, Shri Shiva Gopal Mishra, Secretary, Staff Side, Dr. N. Kanniah, Shri Ch. Sankara Rao, Shri J.R.Bhosle, Shri C.Srikumar, Shri Guman Singh, Shri R.P.Bhatnagar, Shri Rupak Sarkar, Shri R.Srinivasan, Shri R.N.Parashar, Shri Tapas Bose.
The Staff Side met on the forenoon of today in the office of the Staff Side and discussed in detail about the approach and strategy to be adopted by the Staff Side before the Committee, which Shri Mukesh Singh, BPMS also attended. After detailed discussions the Staff Side has unanimously taken the following conclusion:-
- No Central Government Employees Organizations and the Staff Side of the National Council – JCM have ever demanded for any improvement in the NPS. Therefore the Terms of Reference is not acceptable.
- A memorandum on behalf of the Staff Side should be submitted to the Chairman of the Committee in the meeting bringing in all facts and arguments why the Central Government Employees are opposing NPS and demanding for Restoration of Old Pension Scheme.
- We should reiterate the following two demands which was adopted in the declaration of the JFROPS (NJCA).
(i) To withdraw the National Pension System implemented to the employees who are recruited on or after 01/01/2004 and to bring them all under the coverage of old pension scheme under CCS(Pension) Rules 1972.
(ii) To implement the GPF scheme to the employees who are recruited on or after 01/01/2004 by depositing the accumulated employees contribution along with the returns to the GPF Account of the employees.
Accordingly a detailed memorandum was prepared and handed over to The Chairmen of the Committee in today’s meeting. A copy of the memorandum dated 09/06/2023 addressed to The Chairman of the Committee is enclosed along with this circular.
In the meeting the Staff Side placed our firm views and all justifications for scrapping the no Guarantee NPS and restoration of the defined and guaranteed Old Pension Scheme. Detailed discussion took place on all the issues raised by us in the memorandum. A patient hearing was given by the Chairman of the Committee on all the issues raised by us. We also clarified on the issues raised by the Chairman in an effective manner.
Responding to the views expressed by us the Chairman of the committee and the official Side Members responded as follows:-
- The committee has to work within the frame work of the Terms of Reference given to the Committee.
- The Memorandum submitted by the Staff Side would be studied by the Committee and would be taken in to account while finalizing its recommendations.
- The points and the justifications given by the Staff Side on their Demand are also noted and the committee would study the same.
- Discussions both formally and informally would continue to take place with the Staff Side of the National Council – JCM.
After listening to the views expressed by the Chairman we categorically reiterated our position that the only way to solve the problem is to scrap the no guaranteed NPS and to restore the defined and guaranteed old Pension Scheme.
Dear Comrades let our struggle in the united banner of NJCA to scrap NPS and restore OPS will continue and will be intensified in the coming days.
(Shiva Gopal Mishra)