Exemption of Pension up to Rs. 5 lakhs per annum from Income Tax: Proposal will be examined – MoS for Finance.
Shiva Pratap Shukla
D.O. No. 370150/9/2017- TPL
MINISTER OF STATE FOR FINANCE
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
14th November 2017
Dear Dr.Tharoor Ji,
Kindly refer to your D.O. letter No. DO/S1/09/2017/986 dated 26.09.2017 requesting, for providing the exemption of Rs. 5 lakhs per annum to pension income.
I have got the matter examined. Currently, the basic exemption limit for individual taxpayer is Rs, 2, 50,000, However, considering the specific needs of the senior citizens, the basic exemption limit for a senior citizen above 60 year, is fixed at Rs.3,00,000 and for very senior citizen i.e. above 80 years, the same is fixed Rs. 5,00,000. Therefore, a pensioner who is a senior citizen is not required to pay any income-tax if his. total income, including pension., does not exceed Rs. 3 lakhs Similarly, a pensioner who is very senior citizen is not required to pay tax if his total income, including pension, does not exceed Rs. 5, 00.000. However, the suggestions that pension up to Rs. 5 lakhs per annum should be exempt in all cases would require amendment to the existing provisions of the Income-tax Act, 1964.
Accordingly, the proposal would be examined during the exercise for the ensuing Union Budget, 2018 and the outcome would be reflected in the Finance Bill 2018.
(Shiv Pratap Shukla)
Related to Your Search:
- Government to examine Rs.5 lakh tax exemption proposal for pensioners
- Raise Income Tax Exemption Slab to Rs. 5 Lakhs: NC JCM Staff Side
- Benefit from the Income Tax sops announced by the Government..?
- Relief to Senior Citizens: Exemption of Interest Income on deposits increased to Rs 50,000
- Union Budget 2014-15 : Income Tax exemption limit raised to Rs.2.5 lakh and also raised to Rs 1.5 lakh under Section 80C
- Income tax exemption for gratuity increased from Rs.10 lakhs to 20 lakhs w.e.f. 29.3.2018
- Budget 2019 : Income Tax exemption limit raised to Rs. 5 lakh
- Central Government is planning to raise the Income Tax exemption slab to Rs. 5 Lakhs
- Income Tax Rates For Assessment Year 2015-16