GST rate on hand sanitizers
Ministry of Finance
Clarification on issue of GST rate on alcohol based hand sanitizers
15 JULY 2020
The issue of GST rate on alcohol based hand sanitizers has been reported in few sections of media.
It is stated that hand sanitizers attract GST at the rate of 18%. Sanitizers are disinfectants like soaps, anti-bacterial liquids, dettol etc which all attract duty standard rate of 18% under the GST regime.
It is further clarified that inputs for manufacture of hand sanitizers are chemicals packing material, input services, which also attract a GST rate of 18%. Reducing the GST rate on sanitizers and other similar items would lead to an inverted duty structure and put the domestic manufacturers at disadvantage vis-a-vis importers. Lower GST rates help imports by making them cheaper. This is against the nation’s policy on Atmanirbhar Bharat. Consumers would also eventually not benefit from the lower GST rate if domestic manufacturing suffers on account of inverted duty structure.
Related to Your Search:
- GST Council likely to finalise tax rates shortly
- Lower Tax Incidence on Entertainment Services under Goods and Services (GST) Tax
- Interim Relief and Merger of Dearness Allowance with Pay – NCJCM to 7th CPC
- NC JCM & DoPT: Bonus Ceilings, Provident Fund and Quantum of Gratuity issues may settle
- Is it possible to Increase the 7th CPC Minimum Pay and Improve the Fitment Factor?
- Important matter of the service period, affecting the Central Government Employees – JCM (Staff Side)
- Brief of the meeting held today with the Cabinet Secretary, Government of India
- GST rate will be much more diluted than 27%: Jaitley
- Meeting of National Council JCM (Staff Side) with 7th Pay Commission on 23, 24 March 2015