Cabinet approves Revised Cost Estimate for setting up of India Post Payments Bank
Boost to Banking Services at Post Offices across the country
29 AUG 2018
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for revision of the project outlay for setting up of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) from Rs. 800 crore to Rs. 1,435 crore. The additional sum of Rs. 635 crore in the revised cost estimates is on account of Rs 400 crore for Technology Costs and Rs 235 crore for Human Resource Costs.
- IPPB services shall be available at 650 IPPB branches and 3250 Access Points from 1st September 2018 and in all 1.55 lakh post offices (Access Points) by December 2018.
- The project will generate new employment opportunity for about 3500 skilled banking professionals and other entities engaged in propagating financial literacy across the country.
- The objective of the project is to build the most accessible, affordable and trusted bank for the common man; spearhead the financial inclusion agenda by removing the barriers for the unbanked and reduce the opportunity cost for the under banked populace through assisted doorstep banking.
- The project will supplement Government’s vision of “less cash” economy and at the same time promote both economic growth and financial inclusion.
- The robust IT architecture of IPPB has been built taking into consideration bank grade performance, fraud and risk mitigation standards and in line with the best practices from payments & banking domain
The IPPB will provide bouquet of payments/financial services through its technology enabled solutions which will be distributed by the Department of Posts (DoP) employees/last mile agents transforming them from mail deliverer to harbinger of financial services.
The IPPB shall pay incentive/commission to the last mile agents ( Postal Staff and Gramin Dak Sewaks) directly in their accounts for providing IPPB services so as to motivate them to promote IPP8 digital services to the customers.
A part of commission to be paid by IPPB to Department of Posts will be used for increasing the wherewithal of Post office.
Related to Your Search:
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) to enable Digital Payments in Post Offices by April 2018
- PM to launch India Post Payments Bank on Saturday, 1st September
- India Post launches logo and tagline design contest for IPPB on MyGov
- India Post Payments Bank will be a game changer for financial inclusion – Manoj Sinha
- DoP starts logo contest for payments bank with Rs 50k prize
- PM launches India Post Payments Bank – a major initiative towards financial inclusion
- FAQs on deputation of DoP staff to India Post Payments Bank (IPPB)
- DoP through IPPB has launched doorstep service for all pensioners to submit Digital Life Certificate from comfort of their home
- More than 2 dozen companies want collaboration with India Post Payments Bank-Manoj Sinha