Allotment of berths under physically handicapped quota – Railway Board Order
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (Bharat Sarkar)
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS (Rail Mantralya)
New Delhi, dated 16.11.2015
Chief Commercial Managers,
All Zonal Railways
(Commercial Circular No. 67 of 2015)
Sub: Allotment of berths under physically handicapped quota.
As per extant instructions, handicapped quota of 2 berths in sleeper class (one lower and one. middle) is earmarked for physically handicapped persons travelling on concession.
1.1 There are two types of handicapped persons who can book berth under this quota; one for whom it is compulsory to travel along With escort and the second for whom it is optional. Recently instances were brought to the notice of this office where the handicapped persons for whom it is optional to. take an escort were not allowed to book single berth against this quota by some Railways since the second berth will go vacant as middle berth cannot be allotted to physically handicapped persons. This issue was also raised in Court of Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities.
2. The matter has been accordingly examined and it has been decided. as under:-
(i) There will be two types of handicapped quota of two berths each (one lower and one middle) in the same cabin; one for physically handicapped persons who can utilize concession only when accompanied by an escort and the second for those handicapped persons for whom it is optional to take an escort with them.
(ii) As for the former category it is compulsory to be accompanied by an escort, these berths can be booked by such category of handicapped persons booking tickets on concession on first come first serve basis.
(iii) For the later, where. it is optional to be accompanied by an escort, if the first handicapped person intends to book berth along with escort, both the berths will be booked. However if the first handicapped person books without escort, the second berth will not be booked under handicapped quota and will be released to RAC/waitlisted passengers at the time of preparation of reservation charts.
(iv) Further, at the time of preparation of reservation charts, the unutilized lower berths under this quota can be released to physically handicapped passenger(of either category who were kept in general waiting list due to-exhaustion of their quota), single senior citizen travelling alone on priority and thereafter to waitlisted passengers as per priority. In case a single berth. i.e. middle berth is left vacant in this quota of second category it will be released to RAC/waitlisted passengers.
(v) It has also been decided that whenever a physically handicapped person books ticket on concession and if no berth is available in handicapped quota, the system will automatically try to allot he lower berth to him/her and middle berth to escort subject to availability of same at the time of booking
(vi) CRIS will make necessary modifications in the software at the earliest but not later than 22.12.2015 under intimation to all Zonal Railways as well as to this office.
3. Necessary instructions may be issued to all concerned. After provision of this facility by CRIS, wide publicity to above changes may be made for information of general public.
Dy. Director Traffic Commercial (G)-II
Authority : http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/
Related to Your Search:
- Railway Reservation for Physically Challenged made easier
- FACILITIES EXTENDED TO HANDICAPPED PERSONS IN RESPECT OF RESERVATION IN TRAINS
- Reservation Facilities Provided to Senior Citizen and Female Passengers Including Pregnant Women
- Railway Concessions, Reservation Quota and Other FACILITIES EXTENDED TO PERSONS WITH DISABILITY
- Train Travel Concession for Disabled Persons
- Train reservation Quota for Women and Senior Citizens: Railway Board Circular
- Indian Railways provides Divyangjans with various facilities to make their services more convenient and accessible for differently abled passengers
- Railways – 50 Percent Concession for Male senior citizens and 40 Percent Concession for Lady senior citizens
- Enhancement of Combined Reservation Quota of lower berths for Senior Citizens and Female Passengers