Allocation of Funds for Defence R&D
The expenditure on Research & Development by each of the nine Defence Public Sector Undertakings in 2013-14 is as under:
Name of DPSU
Expenditure on R&D
(Rs. in crore)
|Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.||
|Bharat Electronics Ltd.||
|Mazagon Dock Ltd.||
|Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd.||
|Goa Shipyard Ltd.||
|Bharat Dynamics Ltd.||
|Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd.||
|Hindustan Shipyard Ltd||
The norms for R&D, as per the guidelines of Department of Public Enterprises, are a minimum expenditure of 1% of Profit After Tax (PAT) for Maharatna & Navratna categories of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs). In respect of other CPSEs, it is 0.5% of PAT. All profit making Defence PSUs are complying with DPE norms for R&D expenditure.
The data about R&D expenditure by foreign countries is not maintained.
The Government provides assistance to Indian Industry/DPSUs/OFB/consortia in Research and Development of defence equipment. Under the ‘Make’ Category of Defence Procurement Procedure, there is a provision for funding 80% of the expenditure on Research and Development of prototype by the Government. Additionally, a Technology Development Fund (TDF) was announced in Union Budget 2014-15 to provide necessary resources to public and private sector companies, including SMEs as well as academic and scientific institutions to support Research and Development of defence systems that enhance cutting edge technology capability in the country.
So far as DPSUs are concerned, in the MOU’s signed between Government and DPSUs, a certain percentage of turnover has been fixed towards expenditure on R&D.
This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh in a written reply to Shrimati Sasikala Pushpa in Rajya Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- Performance of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) during 2015-16
- Performance of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSES) during 2014-15.
- Government proposes raising retirement age of scientists from 60 to 65
- Retirement age of employees of Sick Central Public Sector Enterprises…
- Order Books of Defence Public Sector Units (PSUs)
- Government asks Central Public Sector Enterprises to comply with woman director norms
- Highlights of the Overall Performance of CPSEs in 2011-12
- Cabinet approves the Proposal for Amendment to the Resolutions dated 03rd March 1987 of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB)
- Scheme for wage negotiations for employees in CPSEs (Central Public Sector Enterprises)