7th CPC CEA: Total Claim for Academic Year 2017-18
Children Education Allowance: CEA is paid to government employees to take care of schooling and hostel requirements of their children. Before VI CPC recommendations, the scheme was known as Children Education Assistance and provided at the following rates:
|Component||Class 1 – X||Class XI-XII||Requirement|
|Reimbursement of Tuition Fee||40||50|
|Reimbursement of Tuition Fee for Disabled and mentally retarded children||100||100|
|Children Education Allowance||100||100||In case the government employee is compelled to send his child to a school away from the Station of his posting|
|Hostel Subsidy||300||300||In case the employee is obliged to keep his children in a hostel away from the Station of his posting and residence on account of transfer.|
The VI CPC rationalized the structure to the following:
|Children Education Allowance||Rs.1500 pm||Whenever DA increases by 50%, CEA shall increase by 25%|
|Hostel Subsidy||Rs.4500 pm||Whenever DA increases by 50%, Hostel Subsidy shall increase by 25%|
7th Pay Commission recommended as follows:
|Component||Recommended rate (pm)||Remarks|
|Children Education Allowance||Rs.1500 x 1.5 = 2250||Whenever DA increases by 50%, CEA shall increase by 25%|
|Hostel Subsidy||Rs.4500 x 1.5 = 6750 (ceiling)||Whenever DA increases by 50%, Hostel Subsidy shall increase by 25%|
The allowance will continue to be double for differently abled children.
Simplification of Procedure for Reimbursement: This is a major area of concern. Many representations have been received by the Commission wherein employees have stated that due to cumbersome procedures, reimbursement has been held up for years. Another issue is the kind of voucher which will be accepted and which kind of voucher will not. The issue has been examined, and the apprehensions expressed are not without merit.
It is recommended that reimbursement should be done just once a year, after completion of the financial year (which for most schools coincides with the Academic year). For CEA, a certificate from the head of institution where the ward of government employee studies should be sufficient for this purpose. The certificate should confirm that the child studied in the school during the previous academic year.
For Hostel Subsidy, a similar certificate from the head of institution should suffice, with the additional requirement that the certificate should mention the amount of expenditure incurred by the government servant towards lodging and boarding in the residential complex. The amount of expenditure mentioned, or the ceiling as mentioned in the table above, whichever is lower, shall be paid to the employee.
The Central Government has decided and notified the allowance shall be admissible with effect from 1st July, 2017.
The total re-imbursement amount can be claimed per child per year:
|Re-imbursement Per Child Per Year|
Related to Your Search:
- Opening of reimbursement of Children education allowance CEA claim for Central Government employees for the academic year 2020-2021
- 7th CPC Children Education Allowance / Hostel subsidy – Jammu and Kashmir Central Government Employees
- Annual ceiling for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance for CG Employees
- Reimbursement of Children Education Allowance-lok sabha Q&A
- Children Education Allowance / Hostel Subsidy – Clarification issued by Railway Board
- Child Education Allowance Hostel Subsidy for the year 2019-2020
- MoD Clarification on Children Education Allowance/Hostel Subsidy for Armed Forces
- Recommendations of the Seventh Central Pay Commission – Implementation of decision relating to the grant of Children Education Allowance
- Railways: Children Education Allowance for the year 2017-2018