Union cabinet approves ordinance for death penalty for rape of children
The Union Cabinet on Saturday approved an ordinance to allow courts to award death penalty to those convicted of raping children up to 12 years of age.
Official sources said here that the criminal law amendment ordinance seeks to amend the Indian Penal Code (IPC), the Evidence Act, the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act to introduce a new provision to sentence convicts of such crimes punishment of death
The move comes against the backdrop of the alleged rape and murder of girls in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kathua and Gujarat’s Surat district recently
The rape of a minor in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district had also outraged the nation
The ordinance would be now sent to the President for his approval.
Related to Your Search:
- Cabinet approves reservation in Teachers Cadre Ordinance, 2019
- Government Employees of Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh to get all 7th CPC Allowances from 31st October 2019
- All States/UTs except the State of Jammu & Kashmir, approves the State GST Act and are ready for the smooth roll-out of GST with effect from 1st July, 2017
- Government to replace GST ordinance with bill
- All Police officers should be re-trained on various aspects of sexual offences
- Retirement age for Maharashtra government doctors raised to 60
- Cabinet – Making Aadhaar people friendly – PIB
- ABPMs and ABPMs/ Dak Sevaks under Rule 31 of the GDS (conduct & engagement) Rules, 2020 for all categories of Gramin Dak Savaks loss
- Punjab government: New guidelines for two-year extension in service after 58 years