Procedure for conduct of supplementary DPC – Dopt issued orders with illustration
G.I., Dep. of Per. & Trg., O.M.No. 22011/2/2014- Estt.D, dated 30.1.2015
Subject:- Procedure for conduct of supplementary DPC
This Department instructions issued vide OM No. 22011/5/86-Estt (D) dated 10.4.89 [para 6.4.2 (i)] provide that vacancies occurring due to death, voluntary retirement, new creations etc. could not be foreseen at the time of placing facts and material before the DPC, therefore, another meeting of DPC (commonly referred to supplementary DPC) should be held for drawing up a panel for these vacancies.
2. References have been received with regard to the zone of consideration, the eligibility list for the supplementary DPC and whether officers who are included in the panel by the original DPC or in the extended panel but could not be promoted as these anticipated vacancies do not actually become available could be appointed against the additional vacancies later becoming available for the same vacancy year.
3. These issues have been examined in consultation with UPSC and following is decided:-
(i) The zone of consideration, in case of holding supplementary DPC, shall be fixed as per the provisions in this Department OM No. 22011/2/2002-Estt(D) dated 6.1.2006 keeping in view total number of vacancies arising in a particular vacancy year i.e. vacancies accounted in Original DPC + additional vacancies becoming available subsequently during the same year.
(ii) The eligibility list for supplementary DPC shall be prepared by removing the names of all such officers who have already been assessed by earlier DPC as fit, unfit or placed in the sealed cover by the original DPC before placing the same for consideration by the supplementary DPC.
(iii) The officers who have already been empanelled or placed in the extended panel but could not be promoted due to these vacancies not actually becoming available; need not be re-assessed by the supplementary DPC as the assessment matrix remains the same. They may be appointed against the additional vacancies of the same vacancy year as per recommendations of the earlier DPC. In such situation the number of vacancies for supplementary DPC shall be accordingly adjusted.
4. While calculating the regular vacancies for a DPC, it is incumbent upon administrative department to ensure that there is no arbitrariness in calculation of anticipated vacancies.
5. To provide clarity in implementation of these instructions some situation specific illustrations are enclosed as Annexure to this OM.
No. of vacancies 5
Normal zone 5 x 2 + 4 = 14
Extended zone 5 x 5 = 25
No. of vacancies – 2
Zone of consideration will be decided taking into account total number of vacancies in the vacancy year, i.e. 7 (Vacancies at the time of original DPC + unanticipated vacancies for the same year i.e. 5+2) in this case.
For 7 vacancies, normal zone is 7 x 2 + 4 = 18
Extended Zone 7 x 5 = 35
Situation 1- In the original DPC, first 5 officers are assessed as ‘Fit’ and no officer is assessed for extended panel or assessed as ‘Unfit’ and/or kept in ‘Sealed Cover’
Zone of consideration for Supplementary DPC will now be 13 (Normal Zone of consideration for total number of vacancies for that year — number of officers assessed by earlier DPC i.e 18-5).
As such, in the eligibility list of Supplementary DPC in the above illustration, 13 officers (9 left over officers from the original DPC and 4 additional officers) shall be included.
Situation 2 – In the original DPC, first 5 officers are assessed as ‘Fit’ and next 3 officers are assessed for extended panel and no officer is assessed as ‘Unfit’ and for kept in ‘Sealed Cover’
Zone of consideration for Supplementary DPC will now be 10 (Normal Zone of consideration for total number of vacancies for that year — number of officers assessed by earlier DPC i.e 18-8).
As such, in the eligibility list of Supplementary DPC in the above illustration, 10 officers (6 left over officers from the original DPC and 4 additional officers) shall be included.
Situation 3- In the original DPC, 5 officers are assessed as ‘Fit’, 2 officers are assessed for extended panel and 4 officers are assessed as Unfit’ and/or kept in ‘Sealed Cover’
Zone of consideration for Supplementary DPC will now be 7 (Normal Zone of consideration for total number of vacancies for that year — number of officers assessed by earlier DPC i.e 18-11)
As such, in the eligibility of Supplementary DPC in the above illustration, 7 officers (3 left over officer not assessed in the original DPC and 4 additional officers) shall be included in the normal zone.
Extended Zone in situation 1,2 & 3 above:
Extended zone in the Supplementary DPC, wherever resorted to, may be operated accordingly leaving out the SC/ST officers assessed by the original DPC.
Important- In the Supplementary DPC, (a) Zone of consideration (Normal as well as Extended) shall be decided taking into account total number of vacancies in the relevant vacancy year; and (b) all the officers already assessed in the original DPC are not to be included in the fresh zone of consideration in respect of the S-DPC.
Authority : www.persmin.gov.in (DoPT)
Related to Your Search:
- Inclusion of eligible officers who are due to retire before the likely date of vacancies, in the panel for promotion
- Extended Panels formed for Selections and LDCEs held for promotion to Group ‘B’ posts vacancy
- FILLING UP OF RESERVED VACANCIES – DOPT BROCHURE
- Procedure to be followed for promotion by Departmental Promotion Committee to implement Cadre Restructuring of General Line Cadre Posts.
- Employment News – Latest vacancy position in Railways – Report on Zonal wise as on 1.4.2013
- Central Government Vacancies for Compassionate Appointment in the MTS – DG Cadre
- Fixation of range of seniority for promotion from PA to PS Grade of CSSS for Select List Year 2014
- Retired Government Employees Can Now Avail Benefits Of Missed Promotions
- Departmental Promotion Committee (DPC) Guidelines – Modified check-list of papers/information to be submitted for consideration by DPC