Central Government Employees Dearness Allowance
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
Unstarred Question No. 1806
To be answered on Tuesday, 2nd August, 2022
Sravana 11, 1944 (Saka)
Increase in DA/DR to Government employees/ pensioners
1806:: Shri Naranbhai J. Rathwa:
Will the Minister of Finance be pleased to state:
(a) whether it Is a fact that wholesale inflation has accelerated to 30-year high at 15.8 percent with the result that Wholesale Price Index (WPI) has also zoomed and likely signals are of continued inflationary upward pressure;
(b) whether in spite of rising in WPI, the increase in Dearness Allowance for Central Government employees and Dearness Relief for pensioners remained at three per cent, and if so, the reasons thereof; and
(c) whether Government would consider the increased WPI and approve DA/DR at higher rates while approving the next instalment of DA/DR to Government employees/pensioners and if not, the reasons therefor?
Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance
(Shri Pankaj Chaudhary)
(a) Yes, Sir. As per Wholesale Price Index (WP), inflation of 15.88% has been registered in the month of May, 2022 which is highest in the last 30 years (from April 1992). However, the aforesaid rate of inflation has reduced to 15.18% in the month of June, 2022. Details are given in Annexure-I.
(b) & (c) No, Sir. Calculation of Dearness Allowance (DA)/Dearness Relief (DR) to Central Government employees/ pensioners, is not based on WPI based inflation. DA/DR to Central Government employees/ pensioners is calculated on the basis of rate of inflation as per All India Consumer. Price Index for Industrial Workers (AICPI-IW) released by Labour Bureau (Shimla), Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Related to Your Search:
- Central government employees Dearness Allowance (DA) and Dearness Relief (DR) have maintained stability at a 3% increase
- Increase / decrease in DA / DR for Central Government employees – 7th CPC Expected DA/DR from January, 2020
- AICPIN for the month of July 2018 – Expected DA Jan 2019?
- Expected DA from January 2013 : Dearness Allowance vs AICPIN
- Increase in rate of DA is in proportion to the increase in the rate of inflation
- 2% Dearness Allowance Hike Likely For Central Government Employees From January 1
- 5% DA increase from July 2019 confirmed for Central Government Employees. 12% becomes 17% due to high inflation
- Cabinet approves additional instalment of 3% Dearness Allowance to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief to Pensions due from 01.07.2021
- Dearness Allowance (DA) is granted to Railway employees