Govt to introduce bill for quota to SC/STs in promotions on August 22
NEW DELHI: After repeated adjournments in Rajya Sabha and turmoil in Lok Sabha, government on Thursday agreed to members’ demand for bringing a Constitution amendment bill for reservation in promotion of SCs and STs in state jobs.
Minister of state for PMO V Narayansamy informed the Upper House that a bill will be brought in this regard on August 22 after an all-party meeting, which will discuss the issue on August 21.
“The Prime Minister will call a meeting of leaders of all political parties on 21st of this month to discuss the issue of SC/ST reservation. This has been the demand of the honourbale members. On August 22, the government will be able to bring the bill in the House,” Narayanasamy said bringing the uproar over the issue to an end.
The announcement came after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh talked to the members including BSP chief Mayawati on the issue in the House when it was adjourned for 15 minutes.
In the Lok Sabha, SP and BSP members trooped to the Well as soon as the House met for the day demanding reservation for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs.
With members refusing to relent, Speaker Meira Kumar allowed some of them to speak.
Shailendra Kumar (SP) said there was fear in the minds of a number of SC/ST government employees on the lack of reservations in promotions.
Panna Lal Punia (Cong) said Parliament had given SC/ST persons the right to reservation in government jobs and five persons cannot take away this right.
Dara Singh Chauhan (BSP) demanded that the SC/ST employees should be granted reservation in promotion in government jobs immediately.
In the Rajya Sabha, BSP supremo Mayawati said government had promised during in the last session to call an all-party meeting to discuss quota in promotion for SC and ST persons, but the meeting did not take place.
Source: Times of India
Related to Your Search:
- Cabinet approves Bill providing quota in promotions for SC/ST in Govt jobs
- Reservation in promotion to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- Reservation in Promotion for SCs and STs in Government Jobs – Rajya Sabha Passes the Amendment Bill
- Reservation in promotion – Minister replied in Rajya Sabha
- Changes in Reservation Policy
- 3% reservation for differently-abled persons be given in all category of government jobs: Supreme Court
- RESERVATION IN PROMOTION
- Separate Reservation Counters for Women and Physically Challenged
- 3% quota in government service for the disabled is only for initial appointments not for Promotions-Madras High Court.