New Delhi: Government has asked its employees to maximise use of debit cards for personal transactions and become ‘ambassadors’ for promoting digital payments.
The Finance Ministry has asked all ministries/departments to encourage their employees to make use of debit cards for personal transactions instead of cash, an official statement said.
It said that given the progress made in banking technology, it is assumed that each employee would be in possession of a debit/ATM card linked to his/her bank account.
“Ensuring and encouraging government employees to maximise the usage of debit cards for personal related transactions instead of cash would go a long way, with the employees serving as ‘ambassadors’ for the digital push, and also motivate, encourage the general public in taking up the cause,” the ministry added.
Government and PSUs have been disbursing salaries to majority of their employees through electronic mode into their bank accounts.
The ministry said that in the recent years, advancements in banking technology, progress in mobile banking and innovative technologies to facilitate digital payments have enabled large number of small denomination transactions to be handled smoothly in electronic mode.
Following the announcement of demonetisation of 500 and 1000 rupee notes on November 8, the government has been taking a slew of measures to promote digital transaction.
While the Finance Ministry has asked public and private sector banks to waive off transaction costs for all payments made through debit cards, the Road Transport Ministry has asked vehicle manufacturers to provide a digital tag on all new cars for e-payments at toll plazas and check posts.
The Finance Ministry has also asked government departments to liaise with their accredited banks and set up special camps to ensure that all its employees are in possession of debit cards.
It also asked other ministries/departments to issue similar advisories to their attached offices, PSUs and autonomous bodies.
Related to Your Search:
- Encouraging usage of Debit Cards among Government employees
- Digitalisation of fee payment system in CCSCSB
- Government proposes income tax benefits for credit and debit card payment
- Indian Railways Measures to Promote Digital Payments
- Incentivizing Digital Payments
- FinMin sets up panel to suggest steps to promote card payments
- FinMin invites comments on Watal panel report on digital payment
- Government, RBI taking steps to lower digital transaction cost: FM
- Budget gives a major push to Digital Economy; proposes No Cash Transaction above Rs 3 lakh