Employees Pension Scheme
04 APR 2022
The has been framed by the Central Government in accordance with the powers conferred by section 6A of the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions (EPF and MP) Act, 1952. The EPS-95 came into force on 19.11.1995. Review and revision of schemes is an ongoing process. The provisions of the EPS-95 are reviewed from time to time based on the recommendations of the Expert Committee and the High Empowered Monitoring Committee as well as taking into account the actuarial evaluation of the Employees’ Pension Fund. Some of the important amendments made in EPS-95 are as under:
- Increase in wage ceiling from Rs. 6500/- to Rs.15000 per month from 01.09.2014.
- Provision of a minimum pension of Rs. 1000 per month to the pensioners under EPS, 1995 from 01.09.2014 by providing additional budgetary support wherever the pension was falling short of Rs.1000 as per pre-defined formula for calculation of pension.
- Restoration of normal pension after completion of fifteen years from the date of such commutation, in respect of those members who availed the benefit of commutation of pension under the erstwhile paragraph 12A of the EPS, 1995, on or before 25.09.2008 vide notification G.S.R.132(E) dated 20.02.2020.
The Union of India and the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) have challenged the judgement dated 12.10.2018 of Hon’ble Kerala High Court, which set aside the 2014 amendments to the EPS-95, in the Hon’ble Supreme Court. The Hon’ble Supreme Court vide its order dated 24.08.2021 in Special Leave Petition (C) Nos.8658-8659 of 2019 and other connected cases directed to refer the matters to a Bench of at least three Judges. The matter is now sub-judice.
The Code on Social Security, 2020 (36 of 2020), was notified on 29.09.2020, which subsumes 9 Central labours laws including the EPF and MP Act, 1952. Section 15 of the new Code envisages to frame various schemes including pension for the employees and their family members. However, the said Code has not yet come into force.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Labour & Employment, Shri Rameswar Teli in a written reply in Lok Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- Good news for NPS employees
- Payment of Pension on higher wages – delay in implementation of Hon’ble Supreme Court Order: EPFO
- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Bill-2011
- Cabinet approves revised salaries, gratuity, allowances and pension for the Judges of the Supreme Court and the High Courts
- Employees Pension Amendment Scheme, 2020 – Gazette notification
- Amendments to the Employees pension Scheme 1995
- BSNL Clarification regarding Employees Pension Scheme
- Implementation of Supreme Court Judgement on Rank Pay Case
- Gazette Notification regarding the amendment in the Central Civil Services (Commutation of Pension) Rules, 1981