Central Government women employees can get 730 days leave for child care: Supreme Court
The Supreme Court on Tuesday held that a woman employee of central government can get uninterrupted leave for two years for child care, which also includes needs like examination and sickness. A bench of justices SJ Mukhopadhaya and V Gopala Gowda set aside the order of Calcutta High Court which had held that Central Civil Services (Leave) Rules do not permit uninterrupted CCL(Child Care Leave) for 730 days.
“On perusal of circulars and Rule 43-C, it is apparent that a woman government employee having minor children below 18 years can avail CCL for maximum period of 730 days i.e. during the entire service period for taking care of upto two children. The care of children is not for rearing the smaller child but also to look after any of their needs like examination, sickness etc,” the bench said.
It said that CCL even beyond 730 days can be granted by combining other leave if due and the finding of the High Court was based neither on Rule 43-C nor on guidelines issued by the central government. The court passed the order on a petition filed by a woman government employee Kakali Ghosh challenging government’s decision not to grant her leave of 730 for preparing her son for secondary/senior examinations.
She had first approached Central Administrative Tribunal Calcutta for getting leave. The tribunal had ordered in her favour but the High Court reversed the order after which she moved the apex court.
The apex court set aside the High Court’s order. “We set aside the impugned judgement dated September 18, 2012 passed by the Division Bench of Calcutta High Court, Circuit Bench at Port Blair and affirm the judgement and order dated April 30, 2012 passed by the Tribunal with a direction to the respondents to comply with the directions issued by the Tribunal within three months from the date of receipt/ production of this judgement,” it said.
Related to Your Search:
- Supreme Court Judgement on CIVIL APPEAL NO. 4506 OF 2014: Govt woman employee can get uninterrupted two-year child care leave (CCL)
- Jammu and Kashmir government women employees can now get 2-years child care leave
- Child care leave to be applied for in advance: High Court
- CHILD CARE LEAVE : DOPT and FINMIN ORDERS
- Will the 7th CPC Extend Child Care Leave for Male Employees Too?
- Child Care Leave to Female Industrial Employees of Defence Establishments – Clarification order issued by Dopt
- Child Care Leave to women employees of Public Sector undertakings – Dopt
- Maternity leave is right of women employees, government even twins in first delivery: High court
- 4.5 PERCENT RESERVATION FOR MINORITIES