6th Pay Commission Dearness Allowance ends with 6% hike at 125%
Cabinet approves 6 percent Dearness Allowance hike for Central Government employees
“In the 7th Pay Commission report, submitted to the government on 19.11.2015, it was mentioned that the DA is assumed to be 125 percent as on 1 January, 2016, the day from which the
Commission expects its recommendations to be implemented by the government. As calculated by the 7th Pay Commission, a six percent Dearness Allowance hike is being given to the Central Government employees.”
The Dearness Allowance (DA) is paid to Central Government employees to adjust the cost of living and to protect their Basic Pay from erosion in the real value on account of inflation. Presently, DA is based on the All India Consumer Price Index (Industrial Workers).
On 23.03.2016, Wednesday, the Centre decided to give a Dearness Allowance of 6 percent to the Central Government employees in order to enable them to manage the price rise and inflation.
On the occasion of Holi, a special cabinet meeting, under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was held in New Delhi on 23rd March 2016. At the end of the meeting, Mr. Ravishankar Prasad, the Minister of Communications and Information Technology, spoke to the reporters. He said, “The cabinet has decided to issue a Dearness Allowance of six percent to the Central Government employees and pensioners.”
The Dearness Allowance is expected to be calculated from January 1, 2016 onwards. This increases the total Dearness Allowance from 119 percent to 125 percent. More than 50 lakh Central Government employees and 58 lakh pensioners will benefit from this. The government will incur an additional financial burden of Rs.14,725 crores. Dearness Allowance is issued twice a year, based on inflation. The previous Dearness Allowance hike, of six percent, was issued in the month of September 2015, and had a retrospective effect from July 2015 onwards.
This is the last and final instalment of Dearness Allowance calculated by the recommendations of 6th Pay Commission. And, after implementation of 7th Pay Commission the new and first Dearness allowance from 1.7.2016 will be approved by the Cabinet in the middle of September 2016.
Related to Your Search:
- Expected DA: Cabinet to approve the Dearness Allowance hike soon
- Dearness allowance likley to be hiked by 10% on Friday in Cabinet Meeting
- Central Government Employees: Cabinet may approve 6% dearness allowance (DA) hike next week
- Central Government to hike DA by 10%; benefit 80 lakh employees and pensioners
- 6% DA hike from July 2015 – Central Cabinet approved yesterday
- Dearness Allowance (DA) is granted to Railway employees
- Expected DA : Cabinet Committee may approve in this week
- Expected DA from Jan 2016 – Last and A New Chapter Begins
- Most of the Central Government employees feel that the enhancement of DA/DR is meager