100 government websites differently-abled friendly soon
New Delhi: Work is on to make 100 government websites differently-abled friendly and 16 such websites are ready, Union Minister for Electronics & Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad said today.
Optical fibre measuring 1.39 lakh kms to connect village panchayats with internet has been laid since last two years as against 398 km from 2011-14 during the UPA.
He claimed nearly 104 crore people, comparable to the size of population of Italy and France, are in the ambit of the Aadhar and mobile connections in India since last two years.
“What is Digital India? We are seeking to bridge the divide between Digital Haves and Digital Have-nots,” he said while listing the achievements of Modi government since last two years.
“Of 125 crore people 104 have Aadhar card. They are digitally verifiable. With one click, you can view your face, your iris and finger-tip. It has happened in a completely secure condition and we have are the first ones to have done this,” Prasad claimed.
He was speaking at the launch of Sugamya Pustakalaya- an online library for persons with visual disabilities.
The online library was launched by Prasad, Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot, and his two deputies Krishan Pal Gurjar and Ramdas Athawal.
Books are available in accessible formats for people with visual impairment and other print disabilities.
People can access over two lakhs books in diverse languages, integrating libraries across India and the globe, including the largest international library ‘Bookshare’.
“We have linked ‘divyangjans’ with the common service centres in our country. National Informatics Centre (NIC) is in the process of making 100 Government websites ‘divyang’ friendly of which 16 have already been made ‘divyang’ friendly,” Prasad said, as he urged NGOs and citizens to use ‘My Gov’ to provide valuable inputs on central schemes.
Prasad said in order to help children suffering from autism, an e-learning tool has also been developed by the National Institute of Mentally Handicapped and all the scholarships will be under one banner.
Javadekar said there are 23 lakh people special ability under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
As the HRD Minister, Javadekar said, he receives invitations for convocations, but he has accepted the first invitation from the University meant for differently abled in Thiruvanathapuram.
Gurjar said people with special abilities don’t need sympathy of the people but deserve their love, affection and support.
Related to Your Search:
- Postal Department Has Overtaken SBI on Digital Connectivity: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Prakash Javadekar takes responsibility as Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
- Representatives of Bank employees meet FM on wage revision issue
- 2,590 post offices have core banking facilities
- Cabinet likely to discuss proposal for establishing NAD
- Government, RBI taking steps to lower digital transaction cost: FM
- 20% teachers posts vacant in higher educational institutions
- Indian Railway Bonus 2019 – Railway employees will get bonus equivalent to 78 days of wages
- Bank Bipartite negotiation between UFBU and IBA: Possibility of significant hike stands remote