Implementation of Pass Rules and grant of travel facility on privilege pass as per the choice of pass holder: Clarification requested
Registration No. : RTU/Nnn/31/2012
National Federation of Indian Railwaymen
3, CHELMSFORD ROAD, NEW DELHI – 110055
Affiliated to :
Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC)
International Transport Workers’ Federation (lTF)
The Secretary (E),
Sub: Implementation of Pass Rules and grant of travel facility on privilege pass as per the choice of pass holder – Railway Board’s clarification-requested.
NFIR invites attention of the Railway Board to the provisions contained in Advance Correction Slip No. 32 to the Railway Servants (Pass) Rules, 1986 (2nd Edition 1993) where in Rule 3 (vi) which are as under :-
“Privilege pass shall be issued for journey from the starting station to the destination station as desired by the Railway servant, via shortest route, provided that a longer route may be permitted on the Privilege Pass in the following circumstances:-
a) Two alternative routes are available for a destination, for example – Bombay to Calcutta via Nagpur or via Allahabad and Bombay to Delhi by the Central Railway or by the Western Railway – such pass may be permitted by either route irrespective of the distance involved;
b) If the distance to destination via a longer route preferred by the Railway servant does not exceed by fifteen percent of the distance via the direct route such pass may be issued even if a double journey over a small portion is involved (for example – ex Chittaranjan to Kancharapara via Howrah or ex-Lucknow to a station on the Southern/ South Central Railway via Bombay VT), provided the distance does not exceed the distance via the shortest route by more than 15% to take advantage of terminal facilities as in Bombay VT – Kalyan or Madras – Arakkonam sections;
c) If the longer route to destination is quicker than the direct route irrespective of distance involved.”
Federation has received staff representations (also retired staff) that when entitlement and choice is available between (a), (b) & (c) as per ACS No.32, the authorities have been reluctant in issuing the privilege/complimentary passes by wrongly interpreting to the effect that clauses 3(vi) (b) and (c) are independent provisions as they have been separated by the word ‘or’ between them, thereby, the provision in Rule 3(vi) (a) is also independent.
Federation contends that the interpretation as above is not correct in view of the fact that the three provisions are meant to allow staff to avail either 3(vi) (a) or (b) or (c) as per their convenience. The incorrect interpretation by the Railway authorities has resulted deprival of right to employee to take journey on his privilege pass, Similarly, the retired staff are also denied, the privilege of travel as per their choice route on their post retirement complimentary passes.
NFIR, therefore, requests the Railway Board to issue suitable clarification to the Zonal Railways etc., to enable the staff to avail privilege/complimentary passes and take journey as per their choice in terms of provisions contained in ACS No.32. copy of clarificatory instructions may be endorsed to the Federation.
Related to Your Search:
- Request for issue of clarification in respect of Rule (vii) of Schedule-II (Pass on Privilege Account) of Railway Servants (Pass) Rules, 1986 (Second Edition – 1993)
- Grant of 1st Class Privilege Pass to the ASMs GP 2800/- upgraded to GP 4200/- (PB-2)/7th CPC Pay Level 6
- NFIR: Revised entitlement of passes for Railway Employees
- Privilege Pass, PTO, Post Retirement Complimentary Pass from next year’s account should be issued 5 months in advance
- Issue of Privilege Passes/PTOs covering Udhampur-Katra Section: Clarification by Railway Board
- Extending the validity of full/half sets of Privilege Passes, Post Retirement Complimentary Passes, Widow Passes and Privilege Ticket Orders (PTOs)
- Revision of monthly remuneration to the contract para-medical staff in Railways
- Continuation of issuance of Manual Pass to Railway Employees may be extended up to 31-12-2020 – RAILWAYS – Railway Board
- LTC to Railway employees (and Government servants whose spouses are Railway servants)