Government amends Rule 54 of CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972 for Central Government Employees who dies early in his career
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Government amends Rule 54 of CCS (Pension) Rules, 1972
23 SEP 2019 6:46PM
On death of a Government servant while in service, the family is entitled to a family pension in accordance with Rule 54 of the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972. The family pension was payable at enhanced rate of 50% of the pay last drawn for a period of 10 years, if the Government servant had rendered a continuous service of not less than seven years; thereafter the rate of family pension was 30% of the pay last drawn. In case the Government servant had rendered a service of less than seven years before his death, the rate of family pension was 30% from the beginning and family pension at enhanced rate of 50% of last pay drawn was not payable to the family.
The Government felt that the need for family pension at enhanced rate is more in the case of a Government servant who dies early in his career, as his pay at the initial phase of service is much less. The Government has, therefore, amended Rule 54 of the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972 by a notification dated 19th September, 2019. As per the amended Rule 54, the family of a Government servant, who dies within seven years of joining service, will also be eligible for family pension at enhanced rate of 50% of last pay drawn, for a period of 10 years.
The above amendment would be effective from 1st October, 2019. However, the families of Government servants who died before completion of service of seven years within 10 years before 1st October, 2019, will also be eligible for family pension at enhanced rates with effect from 1st October, 2019.
The benefit of amended provisions would be available to the families of all Government servants, including the personnel of CAPFs, in the unfortunate event of their death within seven years of joining Government service.
Related to Your Search:
- Gazette Notification – Central Civil Services CCS (Pension) Second Amendment Rules, 2019
- Minimum 7 years of continuous qualifying service is required for grant of enhanced rate of Family Pension for the Armed Forces personnel
- Enhanced Family Pension : No Change is being recommended by 7th CPC
- Gratuity Pay under New Pension System
- Jammu & Kashmir – Civil Services Regulations : Amendment
- Joining Time Rules – Central Government Employees who join an another Government organization – FAQ
- Dopt Clarification Orders on Joining Time Rules
- Clarification on date upto which enhanced family pension payable
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Family Pension by Pensioner Portal