Cabinet condoles the demise of Dr. M. Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
09 AUG 2018
The Union Cabinet met under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and condoled the demise of Dr. M. Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu who passed away on 7.8.2018 at Kauvery Hospital in Chennai.
The Cabinet observed two-minute silence in his memory and passed a condolence resolution. The text of resolution is as follows:
“The Cabinet expresses profound sorrow at the sad demise of Dr. M, Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 7.8.2018 at Kauvery Hospital, Chennai. In his death, the country has lost a veteran and distinguished leader, affectionately called “Kalaignar”.
He was born in Thirukkuvalai village in Nagapattinam District on 3rd June, 1924. He had held various important positions in his public and political life during his long career in Tamil Nadu political arena. He entered Tamil Nadu Assembly winning Kulithalai seat in the 1957 elections at the age of 33. He became a Minister in Tamil Nadu Government in 1967 and then rose to become the Chief Minister of the State for the first time in 1969. He held the position as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu five times.
Apart from his political life and career, he has been very popular screenwriter in Tamil cinema. He used medium of cinema for propagating the ideals of the Dravidian movement. Dr. M. Karunanidhi was also famous for his writing and oratorical skills. His contribution to Tamil literature has been profound and prolific covering a wide range i.e. poems, screenplays, novels, biographies, stage-plays, dialogues and movie songs.
In his death, people of Tamil Nadu have lost their popular leader.
The Cabinet extends its heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family as well as the people of Tamil Nadu on behalf of the Government and the entire nation.
Related to Your Search:
- Tamilnadu Sate Government holiday on 08.08.2018 as a mark of respect to the late Thiru M. Karunanidhi, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Govt declares holiday for its offices today
- Include Pongal in list of compulsory holidays: Paneerselvam
- No Holidays for Central Government Offices – Funeral of Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam will be held at 11 AM at Rameswaram on 30.7.2015
- Tamil Nadu State Government Diwali Bonus: 20% festival bonus for its employees
- 4% Additional Dearness Allowance (DA) for Tamilnadu State Government Employees from Jan 2017
- Tamil Nadu Pension Rules, 1978 – Amendment to Rule 36
- 7% DA for Tamilnadu State Government Employees from July 2016
- Holidays – Public Holiday – General Elections to Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly 2016 – Declaration of the poll day 16.05.2016 as Public Holiday – Notified