Press Information Bureau
Government of India
06-November-2019 20:32 IST
Cabinet approves Cadre review of Posts & Telegraphs Building Works Service (P&T BWS), Group A
The Union Cabinet Chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the Cadre Review of Posts & Telegraphs Building Works Service, Group ‘A’.
The number of Duty posts was fixed as 105. The approval would result in strengthening of the cadre structure both at the headquarters and in the field units of Department of Telecommunications and Department of Posts on the basis of functional requirements. This will reduce the existing stagnation of P&T BWS officers. It was also decided that there will be no fresh recruitment into the Cadre, and the cadre will be phased out in such a manner that there is no adverse impact on the incumbents.
The Posts & Telegraphs Building Works Service (P&T BWS), Group A, was constituted in 1990 as an organized Group A service. The service comprises of three wings – Civil, Electrical and Architecture – and caters to the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and Department of Posts (DoP). Selected through Combined Engineering Services Examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission, the officers of P&T BWS are working in management and administrative positions in the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), Department of Posts (DoP), PSUs of DoT, and also on deputation in other Central Ministries/ Departments/ Autonomous Bodies and State Governments. Since the inception of the service in 1990, no cadre review of the Service has been done so far and is long overdue.
Formation of BSNL had affected the functions as well as cadre strength of the service with absorption of various officers in BSNL. After the transfer of telecom operations, service and functions of DoT to BSNL, the P&T BWS is left with the responsibility for maintenance of assets of DoT and DoP, handling of new projects, inspection of electro mechanical installations as per Central Electricity Authority Regulations, 2010, formulation of guidelines, standards and specifications for Telecom Installations, ensuring implementation of green initiatives, monitoring of EMF radiations etc. for the entire ambit of Telecom sector, both public and private, and to meet the building infrastructure needs of Department of Telecommunications and Department of Posts.
These facts coupled with the stagnation in various grades of the service necessitated a review of the structure of P&T BWS. Accordingly, a cadre structure of P&T BWS officers was approved, which is considered essential for discharge of the role & obligations of the Department of Telecommunications and Department of Posts.
The Cadre Strength was restricted to the present working strength of the cadre, and the cadre review would entail no fresh financial commitment for Government.
Related to Your Search:
- Cadre Review of Post & Telegraphs Building Works Service Group A: DoT
- Cabinet approves Cadre Review of Indian Posts & Telecommunications Accounts and Finance Service Group “A”
- Cabinet approves Cadre Review of Group ‘A’ Executive Officers of Border Security Force
- Cabinet approves conferment of Central Group ‘A’ Service and Cadre Review of Group ‘A’ Executive Officers of Sashastra Seema Bal
- Cabinet approves Cadre Review of 8 organized Group ‘A’ Services in Railways
- Cabinet approves Cadre review of Group ‘A’ Executive Cadre of Central Industrial Security Force
- Status of Cadre Review proposals processed in DoPT as on 05/07/2016
- Status of Cadre Review proposals processed in DoPT from 1st January, 2011 to 30th November 2015
- Status of Cadre Review proposals processed in DoPT as on 31.10.2016