Ministry of Finance
Withdrawal of Minimum Balance Penalty by Banks
16 JUL 2019
According to Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines, banks do not have any Minimum Balance requirement for Basic Savings Bank Deposit accounts (BSBD), including accounts opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan DhanYojana (PMJDY). As on March 2019, there were 57.3 crore BSBD accounts across the country including 35.27 crore (61.6%) Jan-Dhan accounts. Hence, for these accounts there are no charges for not maintaining minimum balance. BSBD accounts are considered normal banking services available to all and it offers certain basic minimum facilities free of charge.
For accounts other than BSBD accounts, as per RBI’s Master Circular on “Customer Service in Banks” dated July 1, 2015, banks are permitted to fix service charges on various services rendered by them, as per their Board approved policy, while ensuring that the charges are reasonable and not out of line with the average cost of providing these services. Further, banks have been advised to identify basic services and the principles to be adopted/ followed by them for ensuring reasonableness in fixing such charges. Banks are also advised to take steps to ensure that customers are made aware of the service charges upfront and changes in the service charges are implemented only with the prior notice to the customers.
This was stated by Shri Anurag Singh Thakur, Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- 33.66 crore Accounts Opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan DhanYojana (PMJDY) as on 26.12.2018
- Bank Charges for Non-Home Branch Customers
- Government asks banks to obtain PAN from account holders
- Highlights: Finance Ministry reviewd the position regarding availability and distribution of all denomination of bank notes
- RBI: Statement on Developmental and Regulatory Policies – October 4, 2017- Banking Facility for Senior Citizens and Differently abled Persons
- State-wise educational loan outstanding of Public Sector Banks
- Minimum Balance Requirements In India Post Accounts and Other Details
- Impact of bank merger – Union Bank of India, Andhra Bank and the Corporation Bank will lead to any loss of jobs for the present employees or loss of any future employment opportunities for the people?
- Withdrawal of Cash from Bank account per week – RBI Instructions on 25.11.2016