Supreme Court Judgement: Withholding of Pension or Gratuity
C.A. No.6770/2013 @ SLP (C) No. 1427 of 2009
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF INDIA
CIVIL APPELLATE JURISDICTION
CIVIL APPEAL NO. 6770 OF 2013
(Arising out of Special Leave Petition (Civil) No. 1427 of 2009)
State of Jharkhand & Ors.
Jitendra Kumar Srivastava & Anr.
C.A. No. 6771/2013
(arising out of SLP(C) No. 1428 of 2009)
A.K. Sikri, J
2. Crisp and short question which arises for consideration in these cases is as to whether, in the absence of any provision in the Pension Rules, the State Government can withhold a part of pension and/or gratuity during the pendency of departmental/ criminal proceedings? The High Court has – answered this question, vide the impugned judgment, in the negative and hence directed the appellant to release the withheld dues to the respondent.
Not happy with this outcome, the State of Jharkhand has preferred this appeal.
3. For the sake of convenience we will gather the facts from Civil Appeal arising out of SLP(Civil) No. 1427 of 2009. Only facts which need to be noted, giving rise to the aforesaid questions of law, are the following:
The respondent was working in the Department of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries. He joined the said Department in the Government of Bihar on 2.11.1966. On 16.4.1996, two cases were registered against him under various Sections of the Indian Penal Code as well as Prevention of Corruption Act, alleging serious financial irregularities during the years 1990-1991, 1991-1992 when he was posted as Artificial Insemination Officer, Ranchi. On promulgation of the Bihar Reorganisation Act, 2000, State of Jharkhand (Appellant herein) came into existence and the Respondent became the employee of the appellant State. Prosecution, in respect of the aforesaid two criminal cases against the respondent is pending. On 30th January, 2002, the appellant also ordered initiation of disciplinary action against him. While these proceedings were still pending, on attaining the age of superannuation, the respondent retired from the post of Artificial Insemination Officer, Ranchi on 31.08.2002.
Related to Your Search:
- Pension Benefits of VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme) and Resignation – Supreme Court Judgement
- ARREARS WEF 01.01.06 MATTER- JUDGMENT/ ORDER OF THE HSC IN THE SLP- CA CASES IS AS FOLLOWS:
- Restoration of full pension of absorbee pensioners in view of the order dated 01.09.2016 of Hon’ble Supreme Court in Civil Appeal No. 604812010 and Civil Appeal No. 637112010
- GRANT OF MACP ON PROMOTIONAL HIERARCHY: SLP (civil) CC No.10435 of 2014, UOI Vs Babu Ram & Ors
- Government has no power to withhold Pensionary Benefits if departmental or judicial proceeding are pending: Supreme Court
- Reservation in Promotion – Roster Point based, not Vacany based – Confederation
- Pension Revision Who are absorbed in Central Public Sector Undertakings – Confederation
- Employee can’t escape recovery of excess payments: SC
- Revision of pension of pre-2006 pensioners – Pensioners Portal Orders Mar 2015