SMS & USSD Based Ticketing System – Non Internet based Mobile ticket booking for train journey
Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Railways
28-June-2013 17:30 IST
Mallikarjun Kharge Launches SMS Based Ticketing System
This New System will Improve Customer Convenience and Empower the Common Man: Kharge
The Minister of Railways Shri Mallikarjun Kharge launched SMS based ticketing system at a function here today. While addressing a gathering on the occasion, Shri Kharge said that this user-friendly service which will be effective from today i.e 28th June 2013, is being introduced in order to further improve the customer convenience and empower the common man who does not have access to internet and cannot afford to buy smart phones.
He said that since the mobile penetration in India has increased rapidly and more than 80 per cent people have mobile phones, this new system will be helpful in enabling booking of tickets by masses themselves. Ticket booking through non-internet based mobile, introduced as a pilot project by Indian Railways Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a Public Sector Undertaking of the Ministry of Railways, will also help Railways in overcoming the menace of touting whereby unsuspecting people are fleeced by such elements.
This will particularly be useful for labourers and workers staying away from their home and who have to book tickets for travel to their native place, the Minister added.
The Railway Minister further said that inconvenience in booking reserved railway tickets has been a cause of concern for all. In order to facilitate easy access, Indian Railways have been making efforts by expanding the passenger reservation system counters network. The online booking through IRCTC has now grown up to about 45% of total reserved tickets. This has eased the rush at counters to a great extent. While internet access in India is only about 10%, mobiles are now in easy reach and more than 80% people in our country use mobile phones, the Minister said.
Speaking on the occasion, Chairman, Railway Board, Shri Vinay Mittal said that Indian Railways’ initiative of launching the non-internet based ticketing through a mobile phone would further enhance the scope and each of ticketing since it has huge potential to tap the power of mobile phone. Shri Mittal said that this service will be improved further with provision of more payment options, user-friendly interface and value added services like alerts and updates.
Payment through mobiles is still in an evolving state and Commercial Banks, RBI and National Payment Corporation of India are working on providing a safe, secured and quick payment mechanism through mobile. As the payment option mature and user gets accustomed to SMS booking, it has the potential of overtaking bookings through internet as well as counters, he added.
In his welcome address, the Chairman-cum-Managing Director, IRCTC, Shri Rakesh Tondon said that this is, indeed, IRCTC’s successful effort in making railway ticket booking even easier through SMS or menu based USSD technology which works on all mobile phones. Through this service, customer can not only book ticket but also can search for stations, trains, availability, PNR enquiry, make cancellation etc, he added.
Launch of ticket booking service through mobile phones had been announced in Railway Budget 2012-13. This initiative will go a long way in customer convenience. With the passage of time, it is expected that mobile booking will surpass reserved ticket booking by all other modes like internet and counters. Mobile booking is not only convenient but it also saves time and money. The user will have to get mobile money account opened from his/her bank or mobile money providing agencies as approved by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Ticket can be booked within minutes;
- basic mobile phones are sufficient; no internet connection is required;
- The user will get ticket details on SMS instantly.
- SMS along with valid ID in original can be used for travel, no printout is required.
Book your ticket through USSD:
- Send an SMS to 5676714 to book a ticket in the following syntax:
- BOOK,, , ,, ,,
- You will receive the Transaction number.
- Send the 2nd SMS, for payment, in the following syntax.
- After payment is made booking confirmation is sent to your mobile.
- Charges: No PG Charges. Agent / IRCTC Service Charges: As applicable. SMSes @ Rs 3/- per SMS (2 SMSes are required for each booking).
Related to Your Search:
- Booking of Railway Tickets through Mobile Phones without internet connection
- IRCTC DEDICATES ANDROID APP FOR TRAIN PASSENGERS
- Railways to Launch Ticket Booking through Non-Internet based Mobile Phones with Effect from 1st July 2013
- Procedure for OTP based Refund against cancelled or Waitlist (WL) ticket in IRCTC Train Ticket Booking
- IRCTC E-Ticket Booking : Rolling Deposit Scheme (RDA) for quick booking through internet
- Maximum of 6 tickets can be booked by an individual user in a month – New restriction by IRCTC
- IRCTC to launch new App for faster booking of tickets
- IRCTC plans to reduce the payment transaction time about 1.5 to 2.5 minutes per ticket booking online
- Indian Railways to launch App tomorrow for paperless ticketing in unreserved category