Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
As per Section 33 of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995, every appropriate Government shall appoint in every establishment such percentage of vacancies not less than three per cent for persons or class of persons with disability of which one per cent each shall be reserved for persons suffering from-
(i) blindness or low vision;
(ii) hearing impairment;
(iii) loco motor disability or cerebral palsy, in the posts identified for each disability.
The Supreme Court in its judgment dated 18.10.2013 in the matter of SLP (7541 of 2009) titled Union of India & Anr. Vs. National Federation of the Blind & Ors has, inter alia, held that the computation of reservation for persons with disabilities has to be computed in case of Group A, B, C and D posts in an identical manner viz., computing 3% reservation on total number of vacancies in the cadre strength.
The Supreme Court has also directed to modify the O.M. 29.12.2005 issued by Department of Personnel and Training consistent with its order.
In pursuance with order of the Supreme Court, Department of Personnel and Training has issued an O.M. dated 3.12.2013 requesting all concerned to take necessary action for implementing the order. The State Government/Union Territories have also been appraised by Department of Personnel and training in this regard.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
Related to Your Search:
- 3% GOVERNMENT JOBS FOR DISABLED PERSONS
- Three per cent quota in government service for the disabled is only for initial appointments not for Promotions-Madras High Court
- 3% quota in government service for the disabled is only for initial appointments not for Promotions-Madras High Court.
- 3% reservation for differently-abled persons be given in all category of government jobs: Supreme Court
- Dopt Orders – Reservation for persons with disabilities- Computation of reservation
- Reservation for persons with disabilities- Computation of reservation- Implementation of the SC Judgement: DoPT Order
- Central government has decided not to accept voluntary retirement (VRS)
- FAQ on reservations for disabled persons in Central Government posts / services
- Request for Voluntary retirement from persons suffering from disability – Dopt Orders