Railway Concessions, Reservation Quota and Other FACILITIES EXTENDED TO PERSONS WITH DISABILITY
Facilities extended for the persons with disability by Ministry of Railways include:-
Concessions in Rail fare have been extended to persons with disability, which are as under:
CONCESSION FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITY
Category of persons with disability
1. Orthopedically handicapped/Paraplegic persons who cannot travel without escort – for any purpose. However, can book ticket with or without escort.
2. Mentally retarded persons who cannot travel without escort- for any purpose. However, can book ticket with or without escort.
3. Blind persons travelling alone or with an escort – for any purpose
Percentage of concession
- 75% in 2nd, SL; 1st Class, 3AC, AC chair car
- 50% in 1AC and 2AC,
- 25% in 3AC & AC chair Car of Rajdhani/ Shatabdi trains
- 50% in MST & QST
- One escort is also eligible for same element of concession
4. Deaf & Dumb persons (both afflictions together in the same person) travelling alone or with an escort – for any purpose.
Percentage of concession
- 50% in 2nd, SL and 1st Class
- 50% in MST & QST
- One escort is also eligible for same element of concession.
The procedure for availing concession is (a) Concession tickets are issued directly from Stations on production of copy of prescribed certificate from Govt. Doctor, (b) For Blind persons, certificates issued by RMPs and certain Institutions working of Blind persons (listed in Coaching Tariff) also are accepted. Concessions granted directly at stations on production of . a photocopy of the certificate. The Original certificate will have to be produced for inspection at the time of purchase of concessional ticket and during journey, if demanded. E-ticket are also issued on the basis of Unique ID issued by Indian railways to eligible persons with disability for concession in fare.
Concession is admissible in the basic fares of Mail/ Express/ Rajdhani/ Shatabdi group of trains all other charges like reservation fee, supplementary charges etc. are to be paid in full. .
With a view to facilitate persons with disability to avail concessional tickets online, concessional tickets booking facility including online concessional ticket booking facility for the persons with disability using Photo identity card issue by the Railways has been introduced.
(B) Quota in Reservation:
(i) A reservation quota of four sleeper class berths & 2 berths in 3AC class has been earmarked in all trains running on non-suburban sections for persons with disability performing their journey on handicapped concessional ticket. The persons accompanying the persons with disability as escort is also allotted the berth out of this quota.
(ii) Instructions have also been issued that in the tickets issued through Computerized Passenger Reservation System, to extent feasible, one lower berth should be allotted to the person with disability and the person accompanying the persons with disability as. escort should be allotted middle/upper berths near the persons with disability subject to availability of accommodation.
(iii) After departure of the train, i’f there are vacant lower berths available in the train and if any person with disability booked on the authority of handicapped concessional ticket, who has been allotted upper/middle berth, approaches for allotment of vacant lower berths, the Conductor/Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) has been authorized to allot the vacant lower berth to them making necessary entries in the Chart.
(C) Other facilities:
(i) Specially designed coaches known as SLRD coaches with wider entrance doors to allow a wheel chair to enter, wider aisles and modified toilet with 4 berths, the lower two for persons with disability and upper berths for attendants have been attached in almost all Mail/Express trains except Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Jan Shatabdi Express Trains and Duronto Express Trains.
(ii) Instructions have been issued that in all Mail/Express Trains, the SLRD coaches should treated as unreserved coaches earmarked for exclusive use of persons with disability. In case of Garib Rath Express Trains which are fully reserved trains, these coaches are treated as reserved for booking by persons with disability travelling on the prescribed certificate on payment of full fare of 3 AC class of Garib Rath Express on first come first served basis.
(iii) Separate counters are earmarked to various Passenger Reservation System (PRS) centres for dealing with the reservation i,requisitions received from persons with disability, Senior Citizens, Ex. MPs, MLAs, accredited journalists and freedom fighters, if the average demand per shift not less than 120 tickets. In case there is no justification for earmarking of an exclusive counter for any of these categories of persons including persons with disability or senior citizens, one or two counters depending upon the total demand are earmarked for dealing with the reservation requests for all these categories of persons.
(iv) Zonal Railways have been authorised to introduce Battery Operated Vehicles (BOVs) at major Railway Stations for persons with disability, elderly and ailing passengers on ‘first come first served’ basis through sponsorship from individuals, NGOs, Trusts, Charitable institutions, Corporates and PSUs/Corporate Houses under their Corporate Social Responsibility with no charge to passenger or to the Railway. 80 BOVs have already been provided at 54 major railway stations. Further, instructions have also been issued to Zonal Railways to invite Expression of interest for providing the facility of Battery” operated Car service on payment basis initially at all Al category stations keeping in view the financial sustainability of the service. This facility can be availed by passengers on ‘first come first served’ basis, however, preference shall be given to Sr. Citizens, persons with disability, pregnant women and medically sick passengers.
(v) Persons with disability friendly toilets, water fountains, ticket counters and earmarked parking facility is provided at all A-1, A and B category of stations.
(vi) In allotment of STD/PCO booths at Railway Stations, 25% booths have been reserved for persons with disability (including blind) with disability of 40% and above.
(vii) Zonal railways have also been instructed to provide one wheel chair per platform and in case of island platforms one wheel chair per two platforms at all A-1 and A category stations.
Yatri Mitra Sewa has a!So been introduced at major railway stations for enabling passengers to book wheel chairs services cum porter services free of cost through NGOs, Charitable trust, PSUs etc. under CSR and responsibility of providing this facility has been entrusted with IRCTC. In case of lack of response from NGOs, Charitable trust, PSUs etc. this setvice may be arranged on payment basis through a service provider or on its own.
Short term facilities as detailed below have been planned at all stations:
- Standard ramp for barrier free entry.
- Earmarking at least two parking lots.
- Non-slippery walk-way from parking lot to building.
- Signages of appropriate visibility. At least one toilet (on the ground floor).
- At least one drinking water tap suitable for use by persons with disability. ‘May I help you’ Booth.
In addition, long term facilities as detailed below have been planned at ‘A-1’, ‘A’ & ‘B’ category stations:
- Provision of facility for inter-platform transfer.
- Engraving on edges of platform.
Source: Indian Railways
Related to Your Search:
- FACILITIES EXTENDED TO HANDICAPPED PERSONS IN RESPECT OF RESERVATION IN TRAINS
- Railway Reservation for Physically Challenged made easier
- NFIR – Earmarking of reservation quota for women
- Reservation Facilities Provided to Senior Citizen and Female Passengers Including Pregnant Women
- Railways – 50 Percent Concession for Male senior citizens and 40 Percent Concession for Lady senior citizens
- Allotment of berths under physically handicapped quota – Railway Board Order
- Enhancement of Combined Reservation Quota of lower berths for Senior Citizens and Female Passengers
- Provision of seats for TTEs/Conductors
- Facilities to Differently Abled at Government Offices